Black Lyre Tail Molly not well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

My black lyre tail molly doesn't look well.
He's lost a bit of weight (I think) and his scales are all raised (by that i mean they have a feathery look).

Water Parameters:
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
PH: 7.5

Can't get a good enough pic of him on my iphone unfortunately. He's moving about ok but isn't as energetic as usual.

Had a look at some deseases online an a fungal infection says fish scales may darken, however as he's jet black it's hard to tell.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!!
Henry

Update:

Now he's just sitting on the top gasping for air - similar to ammonia poisoning but ammonia levels show 0 ppm.

Don't think he'll last long...

Anyone?

I'm in a similar situation after getting 5guppys and all of them died within 5days of getting them. They kept hovering at the surface. All my levels r fine too. Now my two pregnant mollys r doing the same. A water change (10%-20%) every other day. And that seems to help them. They look good again pretty much straight after. The nxt day tho were bk to hovering???

Sounds like it could be Dropsy by the raised scales although I think they usually bloat and not lose weight (not sure). What is your water change schedule/frequency? From what I've read it (and other diseases) can be caused by dirty water (although other things are factors too). If it is dropsy shouldn't be too contagious but keep an eye on your other fish for symptoms and I'd increase your water change frequency or/and amount.

Fish Dropsy
Diagnosing by Symptoms
Dropsy in Pet Fish

Sorry about your fish. :(

Sorry bout ur fish. I also lost my pregnant Molly and the male marble Molly this morning. My tank has ich and I think it's from the guppies I added which all died. I'm really gutted. Now the rest of community is suffering but I have begun treatment this morning. I had to sit outside the shop 30mins till it opened. I was there that early lol. Just wanna save me fish. They look little better already tho x

Sounds like it could be Dropsy by the raised scales although I think they usually bloat and not lose weight (not sure). What is your water change schedule/frequency? From what I've read it (and other diseases) can be caused by dirty water (although other things are factors too). If it is dropsy shouldn't be too contagious but keep an eye on your other fish for symptoms and I'd increase your water change frequency or/and amount.

Fish Dropsy
Diagnosing by Symptoms
Dropsy in Pet Fish

Sorry about your fish. :(

Usually I do a 25% PWC and scrape the glass every week, however I had left it this time for 10 days, so perhaps that could be the cause but still seems quite unlikely.

All the others are fine now, and my water parameters are still fine. I did a 50% PWC just in case though.

Back
Top Bottom