Black Molly Big Belly - Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SidFishous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may be the most obvious case of dropsy anyone's ever seen - the thing is, I just don't know! What a glorious big belly! Could she be pregnant? I was told all three of my Molly's are female, and I've had them for nearly a year. I can see individual scales, but I wouldn't say this fish looks like a pinecone. It's eating normally. Had a long stringy poo the other day. One of my other Molly's follows this one around incessantly. Fins also looking a bit ragged, but I've never observed any aggressive nipping. Any ideas what's going on, or more importantly what to do about it?

115491-albums14793-picture72307.jpg

I do a weekly 15% water change, 75 gallon tank, temp 76 degrees F, ph consistently 7.8, ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0.

Looks like she has a bit of fin rot. She may just be constipated. I've never seen a pregnant molly get that big, she almost looks like a balloon molly at this point. Do you have a separate hospital tank just in case she's sick?

No hospital tank available. I just ordered some Seachem Kanaplex - we'll see if that fixes anything.

Pregnant!

Well well! Turns out not all of my Mollys are female, and the balloon belly was not dropsy, it's pregnancy! I also accidentally figured out a way to make a quick safe place for babies to hide - lettuce leaves float on the surface and make a sort of bowl for the little ones to hide in.
115491-albums14793-picture72309.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom