Black Molly missing tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 2 Black Molly's the other day. Noticed yesterday it looked like the one was getting nipped at. I found the culprit - a red platy Ive had for a few years. For some reason, he keeps nipping at only one of the Molly's (but the other one doesnt get any harassment). :confused:

Anyways, I came home from work today to find the Black Molly kinda floating around the tank (looking like he was dead) with the gentle current from the filters. Closer look revealed his tail is completely gone!!! :eek:

I put him into a fishbowl I had (its the only thing I could find), with a little aquarium salt and some tank water. I tried to feed him to no avail. He tries to swim around but obviously it looks like its too much work for him.

Does he have a chance of recovery and growing back his tail? Is there anything else I can do to speed this up?

If it's passed the fin I don't think it can but damaged fins can grow back with fresh water and a little salt. If it cannot swim it may be to far :(

If it's passed the fin I don't think it can but damaged fins can grow back with fresh water and a little salt. If it cannot swim it may be to far :(

Yeah, unfortunately he didnt make it through the night :(

I was hoping quarantining him with some aquarium salt would help but apparently he was damaged beyond repair.

I've had small fish that have immediately isolated what they knew to be a weak/ill fish. It's actually fascinating to watch. It's like they're culling the tank to keep it healthy.

Back
Top Bottom