Black molly - orangish red tip of fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drunkhacker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black Molly and a dalmation molly , both the most dominate in the tank , 72 gallon . They recently developed redish coloring only on the tops of their top fin . Photo should be attached . Can anyone tell me what this is. ? Regularly maintained , ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 , nitrate 10 , recently added lots of plants but this redish was before that . The 72 gallon tank is well stocked , maybe 60-65 inches in total . I have an fx5 filter and check all levels daily .

Attachments

• image-431567672.jpg
    image-431567672.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are more pictures . Water temp 80 . Ph 7.4

Attachments

• image-1977712953.jpg
    image-1977712953.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3787557384.jpg
    image-3787557384.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2933050910.jpg
    image-2933050910.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 115
The white on the Dalmatians fins has always been there , only the orange / red is new

My Dalmatian Mollies have blue and yellow/orange pop thru them in spots and streaks randomly.... As they age colors change.... Even in a 6 mth time period...
I had a Dalmatian Molly I purchased mostly white with black spots last September. Now she's almost all black with a few white streaks on her with orange speckles.

My male Sailfin Black Molly (looks almost identical to yours) has an orange line on his tail too... Looks like Orange eyeliner on his tail...
I believe it's perfectly normal... Just color changing as they mature.

ocminpin said:
My Dalmatian Mollies have blue and yellow/orange pop thru them in spots and streaks randomly.... As they age colors change.... Even in a 6 mth time period...
I had a Dalmatian Molly I purchased mostly white with black spots last September. Now she's almost all black with a few white streaks on her with orange speckles.

My male Sailfin Black Molly (looks almost identical to yours) has an orange line on his tail too... Looks like Orange eyeliner on his tail...
I believe it's perfectly normal... Just color changing as they mature.

I've got a Lyretail Molly who's marbled black with a bit of white. I agree with ocminpin - he's changed coloring (with regard to black and white ratios) and also developed tiny orange specks along with an orange border on the edge of his dorsal fin about 3-5 months after purchase. Just the result of genetic background. No worries. (Doesn't mean I didn't freak out.)

Cindi

EDIT - Just to clarify, the Molly has changed coloring, not ocminpin (so far as I know!). :)

Thanks for all the info ! Only remaining concern is the same color showed up on 2 different fish at around the same time . Just a coincidence ?

Drunkhacker said:
Thanks for all the info ! Only remaining concern is the same color showed up on 2 different fish at around the same time . Just a coincidence ?

What other fish? My mollies change and darken all the time. I don't even realize how much until I look at pics

A full black Molly first pic , and the Dalmatian second pics . Both males , and the large Dalmatian bullies the black Molly allot . Both developed the color

Back
Top Bottom