Black Moor Eye Problem Not Healing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pekish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know what happened but I found my black moor, Mahdi, floating at the bottom of the tank with scales on her side scratched off and her eye all clouded and weird looking. I've been using a first-aid liquid but it only seems to be healing the scratches not her eye. I separated her from the other fish and she seemed to be doing better and was quite active. Her scales are now starting to look better but her eye isn't. Not sure what to do.

A couple things to check...

for items she might have got stuck in, or going next to, or through. Could explain the injury. Pointy DW, decorations?

Are there any fish which could be annoying her or picking on her?

The first thing to do would be to check on your water parameters. Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte. Are you using a liquid test kit or strip/dip test?

The best thing for injury is for the fish to have perfect water so that their injury can heal as well and quickly as possible. Good nutrition to be as well as possible.

What size is the tank and filtration size and type.

What sizes are the primary fish?

What other fish are in there?

Eyes can become cloudy due to an injury like an attack or pointy DW. They can become cloudy due to poor water quality, and /or disease.

Sometimes if great water quality the eye will clear. If there was a physical injury it may heal or could be damaged in a way it can not heal and the fish could lose the eye.

How often are your water changes and how much water do you change per time?

Hi, Autumnsky.
This is an accident post. I was trying to post this message with a picture but it didn't work and I thought I deleted this one. There is another post with the same name and a picture of my fish. Maybe that will help.

I have thought about her scraping herself on a decoration or getting stuck. I'm not sure how to prevent that in the future. There are two orandas and one ryukin. I've been watching them since I put them together almost 8-10 months ago and they seem to have been doing fine. They have been getting along very well. I've been using a liquid formula to keep the water at proper pH level and stuff. I have a 20 g. tank, hoping to get a bigger one soon, and a 10 g. med-tank. The other fish are 3" ,tail to head, and under. Two orandas, one ryukin, and one pleco (properly treated then put in about two weeks ago). I change the water monthly but weekly clean out the floor of the tank using a siphon then refill the tank with conditioned water.

The link below will show off about the fancy GF and how large they can get. You already know that they need a bigger tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Do you have a liquid test kit?

As an aside, it would be better to be able to test the water and be sure that the water stays in safe levels. I think as these guys are getting bigger, getting fed more and pooping more.

You added another fish too and it would be best to check it out to be sure. I am imagining that you should increase the pwc to weekly. Though it helps you are doing weekly vacs and water replacement, that it a small pwc.

Do you eve rinse the filter pads in tap water, or replace them??? If so you are interrupting the nitrification cycle and the beneficial bacteria aka BB is being killed, damaged or thrown away.

Check out the article in my signature line and see if there are any tid bits of info which might help you.

I would test the water and do a couple water changes over the next few days to make sure that the water is as clean as could be and give the fish the best chance. If it looks worse in the next few days then you would likely need meds.

Maybe someone else might have some good info and suggestions for you.

Thank you for your advice. How big of a tank do you think I will need to get? The only store near by that sells tanks has only 55 g. tanks. Is this big enough?

She's doing much better. Her scaled are almost completely healed and her behavior is back to normal. But her eye is still cloudy. I think it's permanently damaged.

Back
Top Bottom