Black Moor Problem, help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the salt

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413416707570.jpg
    1413416707570.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 1413416746950.jpg
    1413416746950.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 40
So I guess little good news??? Woke up to find black moor now resting on bottom. Not swimming... This could be good news or bad news....?? He only ate few peas yesterday to help with swim bladder.. Now he's on bottom just sitting. Until the redcap comes by to nudge him

I'd go with light or half doses of pimafix as well. Ditto on the salt. It's just a tonic sounds like if no infection.

For salt I'd stick with the 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons assuming US) per 10 gal. Salt as a tonic I've used 2 teaspoons per 10 gallon so basically pretty close. I keep meaning to actually try tasting that myself but have yet to get around to it!

You would dose to maintain that in the tank. When dosing I would mix it in the new water going into the tank from a pwc. I'm not sure what a 20 long is but the website below allows you to enter dimensions or standard tank sizes to work out volume.

I don't add pimafix or salt directly to the tank water.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I'd give it another day or two of this treatment to finish trying it. Don't feed him for another day or just vegies below the water surface. The salt may help draw out fluids / reduce any swelling causing problems around the swim bladder.
----------------------
If your strips test for nitrate I'd check that and make sure it is around 20ppm. My strips under-read so anything higher and I would increase pwc size. Any test strip reading of above 0 for ammonia or nitrite would be another water change as I find they under-read for those as well.
--------------
Next up is to try epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) rather than salt.

Fancy goldfish buoyancy problems

Aquarium Fish Constipation

After the epsom salts I'm out of ideas unfortunately.

================
Edit - does sound good news. I spent so long typing this I missed your new post. I've left it up but hopefully he is starting to pick up.

Thank you for all your help... So your saying right now do a PWC... And add the salt to the new water... Treat salt tomorrow too?

and 20 long just means 20 gallons. Take it made long instead of tall

Honestly, is it better that he is just resting on the bottom ? Or worse? Because when my old red cap used to stay at top them bottom.. Lady said it was better on bottom meaning its breathing OK... Anyway it died that night :( .. Later learned it was ich and fin rot. She came sick from the pet store!

I really can't express all the help you have given me thus far. I will now do a PWC... Add the aquarium salt hope bitner turns around. He's a strong fish I'll give him that!!! Beat through catching ich. Then got ich and a cut in his side. Pulled through both of those. Swim bladder can't kill him !

BTW I saw on one of your links sent. (,swim bladder medication) should I buy it?? Or just try the aquariam salt?

Hi, I'd stick with what ever you are doing at the moment as it looks to be working :)

Extra water changes never go astray.

Had you been dosing salt? If not, I'd skip and see how he goes. If so, then just replace the salt removed in a water change. Don't increase the salt concentration in tank by dosing salt each day and not doing a water change.

It's good news he is off the surface. Eventually he would of caught an infection.

Honestly, is it better that he is just resting on the bottom ? Or worse? Because when my old red cap used to stay at top them bottom.. Lady said it was better on bottom meaning its breathing OK... Anyway it died that night :( .. Later learned it was ich and fin rot. She came sick from the pet store!

Hopefully it is better he is resting on the bottom and has more mobility. Be careful not to over-feed him.

I have not dosed salt yet... I was just about to test water with the paper strips since that's all I have & bring water to be tested at pet land now.

He's just sitting on bottom past 2 hours not moving fins. Once and a while he's moving them.

Am I adding the aquariam salt to the new water going into the tank ? Or just the stress coat

I really can't express all the help you have given me thus far. I will now do a PWC... Add the aquarium salt hope bitner turns around. He's a strong fish I'll give him that!!! Beat through catching ich. Then got ich and a cut in his side. Pulled through both of those. Swim bladder can't kill him !

BTW I saw on one of your links sent. (,swim bladder medication) should I buy it?? Or just try the aquariam salt?

I'd skip medication for the moment. Also skip salt if you haven't used it as he seems on the mend. Peas still worth a try.

Err, I'd still suggest the API master test kit. Would get that before meds. They are pretty cheap online, the kit is easy to use and the instruction booklet has handy info without trying to sell you every product under the sun :)

Meds would have been my last gasp suggestion - some sort of medicated fish food.

I have not dosed salt yet... I was just about to test water with the paper strips since that's all I have & bring water to be tested at pet land now.

He's just sitting on bottom past 2 hours not moving fins. Once and a while he's moving them.

Am I adding the aquariam salt to the new water going into the tank ? Or just the stress coat

Ok, catching up on this post.

Skip the salt.

Water tests sound good.

Fingers crossed - give him another 24hrs and see if he improves.

Add stress coat to pwc.

Skip the pimafix just in case.

Edit - got to go to bed. Fingers crossed for him.

Thank you. Ttyt

Before PWC nitrate is in safe...nitrite at a 0
Harshness was at zero.. Sat little now between 25-75
Alkalinity between 0-40
pH 6.2 ( always was at 6.2)

Attachments

• 1413471150799.jpg
    1413471150799.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 41
Sorry for sending picture of poop..but this looks like it was_really big to come out at first...then really thon...its green BC of just the peas I fed yesterday. Not sure who pooped it tho

Maybe the moor? 1413471502724.jpg

Now the fat part looked Burgundy... Maybe the pellets that made him constipated

Attachments

• 1413471889734.jpg
    1413471889734.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 32
That's a picture of my filter I changed the filter cartridge every week when I do my water change. I also wipe the inside of the filter cuz it feels good almost as germs do you think maybe I should start leaving it maybe its good bacteria? Those are the cartridges that I use for my filter change monthly but I read online because goldfish produce a lot of waste to change it more so like I said I change it every water change which is weekly

Did you get a chance to see what media is in your filter? It sounded like you were wiping the inside of the filter and replacing a single filter cartridge each week, thus removing all of your nitrifying bacteria population.

Before PWC nitrate is in safe...nitrite at a 0
Harshness was at zero.. Sat little now between 25-75
Alkalinity between 0-40
pH 6.2 ( always was at 6.2)

You have really odd water - curious to see what the lfs test readings are. Nitrate looks ideal so if correct reading we can cross that off as a problem. Ph is too low but needs checking a true result of 6.2.

Sorry for sending picture of poop..but this looks like it was_really big to come out at first...then really thon...its green BC of just the peas I fed yesterday. Not sure who pooped it tho

Maybe the moor? View attachment 253117

Green is fine. Peas are great. White, stringy poo can indicate just an upset tummy as well as internal infection.

Back
Top Bottom