Black Moor question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktulu909

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok,dont really think he is unhealthy,just more of a concern that I have. I moved him about 6 weeks ago into a 75 gallon with a common and a calico fantail and have noticed that the very tips of his fins are white.Not rot,not a growth,just white. Hes about 5" tip to tip. Is this common? Parameters are all good. 0 Am,0 nitrite and about 10 nitrate PH is about 7.5 water temp is about 70-72.

Sorry I havent been back in touch.I havnt had time to get a pic.Yeh his tummy has a gold shimmer to it,but for from actual pure gold.Isnt that normal?

A pic would help but I suspect he is just starting the color change process. Not a great pic below but here's pic I just took of one of my monster moors (pic doesn't do him justice). I expect he will eventually be almost pure white. Do the ends of your moors tail resemble this?

image-2797053195.jpg

Very much similar,but not near as much white. Just the very very edges. As far as turning gold,he has that gold shimmer on his tummy.Not turning like common goldfish gold like I have seen in some pics.

So are you telling me my black moor is gonna end up white?

The gold shimmer will likely eventually turn orange like my guy above, starting with his tummy. The white edges on the tail will slowly spread down the tail as well. He started just white tips & now its halfway down his tail. You cant tell from the pic very well but in the pic it looks like theres scales missing (white little spots on his body) but its actually him changing to a white/very pale orange. Black is a very transient color in goldies unless its specifically bred for.

So your telling me that pic above,was a BLACK moor at one point? **** I guess I should have read up on these fish a little more. Im a Saints fan and I bought him for the black and gold,not the common goldfish gold LOL

Yep! He looked like this baby moor below. This baby is already developing the classic gold tummy and has white tips on his fins even though he is only a couple of months old.

image-496244656.jpg

Yep! He looked like this baby moor below. This baby is already developing the classic gold tummy and has white tips on his fins even though he is only a couple of months old.

View attachment 137554

Thats what mine looks like except hes about 5 inches long. So I guess the white tips thing is normal. Meh,I wish he would stay that way.

Its not a bad thing! Its actually very interesting to watch the color changes. Its so subtle and gradual that you wont even notice until one day you will realize he is no longer black. lol :)

Back
Top Bottom