Black Moor with chronic problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure it was a bit traumatic for him, but once he is all healed he wont even remember what happened! It will all be worth it! Good job!

Trust me, it gets much easier with practice & much less traumatic! If you dont see some improvement over the next few days, we may need to change course & dose some meds to the water. Good job!!! :)

No news is good news I suppose. Two peroxide swabs done so far. The areas seem to be at a halt. No further progression at all for the better or worse. Biggie seems to get very stressed out after treatment. He will just float to the bottom of the tank and I will have to nudge him a few times to get him swimming. He will then just float in the corner crooked for several hours after is this normal? I am thinking this may be related to his swim bladder issues. He is still responding to food and eating with moderate activity levels. I am still doing salt and primafix. I really want to avoid tank antibiotic treatment if possible. I do not have a hospital tank and worry about my other two fish being exposed to unneeded meds. On a lighter note I hope to be getting their new 55 gallon home on monday night. I am going to try and do a fish-less cycle. I guess its good that it takes a while since I would like all three to be as heathy as possible when move in day happens.

Ok- keep us posted!! If its not spreading, this is good news! I am sorry he is having such a hard time with this! We may have to consider adding meds to the water though if we dont see some improvement soon.

img_1857730_0_14db940d53b046f41395ba2588e831cd.jpg
img_1857730_1_9f22592a9cc3cd41e581875111784166.jpg

OMG what happen? This took place while I was at work. 90% worse condition. Is it possible the peroxide did this?

I have never had peroxide do this but anything is possible. Ok, its time for meds. Im sure you have a petsmart near you. I would give maracyn 2 (not regular maracyn) a try. Your other guys will be fine with the meds even though they dont need them. Be prepared to do atleast 2 full courses of the maracyn2 to get this under control. If you have any carbon in your filters, remove it before starting treatment. Also, keep an eye on your water parameters during treatment. You will need to do a few big water changes to remove the pimafix (or was it melafix?) from the water. I would suspect this product may be a factor here. Keep us posted!

Good luck & i truly hope he makes a speedy recovery!!! I do not want to wait a a couple of days to treat him, but you should also consider ordering some kanamycin (Seachems Kanaplex) off of amazon as well in the event the maracyn2 doesnt work effectively and just to have it in the event you need it in the future (less $10 for small container). Lfs dont carry it anywhere that I know of or I would suggest treating with this instead.

img_1859103_0_06c6782eb51b821bccd5a56fa5c2822e.jpg

I am posting this to document this progression and hopefully cure for others who may be dealing with the same thing.
img_1859103_1_2cd983aafd6c61a9ff49f97e83964131.jpg

This is one day later primafix and salt didnt seem to do the trick starting Maracyn two today. Chunks just keep falling off all red in areas.

Just an update.......Yesterday was the third dose of the Maracyn two.
Observations......... All stringy fins have fallen off. Edges were very enflamed on the first day bloody looking. Day two They were more of a pinkish grey color. Day three they are more whiteish pink sort of a mauve color. A few and I mean very few edges seem normal. Interestingly enough Biggie actually seems a lot more perky. I am noticing more swimming activity. I think the gel food I made may be playing a part in this as well as the meds. I did not change the water yesterday but will do that again today. I Did remove all carbon from the filter but left just a pad.

Just an update.......Yesterday was the third dose of the Maracyn two.
Observations......... All stringy fins have fallen off. Edges were very enflamed on the first day bloody looking. Day two They were more of a pinkish grey color. Day three they are more whiteish pink sort of a mauve color. A few and I mean very few edges seem normal. Interestingly enough Biggie actually seems a lot more perky. I am noticing more swimming activity. I think the gel food I made may be playing a part in this as well as the meds. I did not change the water yesterday but will do that again today. I Did remove all carbon from the filter but left just a pad.

Thats positive improvement! I am glad he is starting to feel better & is enjoying his new food!! Keep up the good work! :)

Be prepared to follow with a second course of treatment. In the latest pic, the redness seems to be gone (which is good!). It will take awhile for his fins to regrow (keep his water healthy) but as long as the white areas are not spreading, he should recover just fine.

Just a small update. I think this morning for the first time I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I may actually be seeing Biggies tail starting to improve a small bit. A few of the white edges seem to be getting a tad bit darker more normal color. Not throwing a party just yet but this is the first break through I have seen in the past few weeks. He still sleeps at the top of the tank but I think he may just prefer this spot. Good response to food still and relatively active. I am continuing with 25% water changes daily prion to the Maracyn two dose after a 24 hour period. I am still adding salt to the tank. As for his swim bladder issues.......Well.........Interestingly as you know I have started gel food for all of them. My partner fed them sinking pellets one night when I was held up at work late. The pellets had such a negative affect on Biggie. He exhibited his usual struggling to swim and floating again that night. I have seen little to none of this behavior since feeding my baby food gel concoction. Amazing how sensitive his system must be. Needless to say its gel food for them always now. I was wondering? this wed will be ten days of the maracyn two. What if I am still seeing discolored edges that may still appear to be healing? What would be my next step? or is there one? I was thinking that after the medication just salt and continuing with water changes would be next?

I am glad your seeing improvement!!! Yes, diet really does make a huge difference in SB issues for cases that are food-related. I am glad he responding well to his new food! Continueing with the salt & water changes sounds like a good plan once the meds are done. If he starts to take a turn for the worse, you can always go for another course of treatment but it sounds like he is making positive progress! :)

I am so pleased with Biggies healing progression. I have two more days of Maracyn two to go. His white edges can still be seen but they keep getting thinner and darker. His activity level is great better then it has been in months. I am grateful I seemed to have caught it early and for all your help. Counting new blessings today.

Back
Top Bottom