Black phantom tetra!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well a bit of bad news im afraid, got home last night and all was well up until around 9:00 when I glanced at the tank and saw that my pregnant (well I thought she was now I'm un sure) phantom tetra stuck against the filter intake, i gently brushed her away from it but she was unable to swim she was just flapping her front fins, no movement from the rear. Held her steady for around half an hour to see if she would recover her strength but sadly she didn't she was getting blown around the tank which was upsetting ,she seemed to have lost control of her actions and would bob all over in every direction as if she was a balloon full of air, I couldn't find anything wrong with her physically but I couldn't leave her so I had to let her go, **** shame! I have attached a pik I took a week or so ago, does she look like she was carrying eggs? Or have I missed some sort of disease?? Please help

Tank 190l
Filter 1x juwel internal + fluval 405
Lights 2x28w t5 2x20w t8
Temp constant around 26
Been set up for a few years
Planted

Please any help on what happened to her

Attachments

• image-786624363.jpg
    image-786624363.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 120
I can barely see her in that picture, but it looks like she has dropsy. Dropsy will kill fish if left untreated. It usually results from improper tank manitenance. When was the last time that you tested your water quality?

Unfortunately dropsy is often fatal if not caught early, but it can be treated. It is best if you can remove the fish to a second tank or container while treating them.

1) Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt/gallon of water to relieve some the fishes discomfort by drawing some of the fluids out of it's body.
2) Raise the heat in the container to 80-84F. Be sure to aerate the water.
3) Feed the fish with an antibiotic food made for gram-negative bacteria.
4) Treat the water with a gram-negative antibiotic like Maracyn II.

The prognosis for dropsy is often not good. It will be up to you if you want to treat the fish or not.

Sorry guys been busy, definitely looks like dropsy, unfortunately she was put down a few nights ago so treatment not an option cheers

Back
Top Bottom