Black skirt tetra poorly :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My black skirt (named quagmire from family guy ! ) has a bad scuff on his nose , I think maybe he swam into mick's (pleco) cave as the scuff was suddenly there one day so I can't see it being any fungus or anything like it, I'm doing partial water changes 3 times a week and have just ordered led moonlights for all 3 of my tanks , is it ok to leave the moonlights on all night ? Is there anything else I can do? I rescued him 2 years ago from a neighbour keeping only him in a 8 litre water bottle cut length ways so he had about 2 inches of water ! I think she had him about a year and was the last fish alive when she decided she couldn't be bothered with fish ! And sold her tank to me I insisted I buy it just for quagmire .. He's such a character , but at the moment totally out of character staying away from the other bs tetras and swimming near the top out of the way of the others :( I'm so sad about this any info or helpful suggestions will be much appreciated, he's just an awesome fish ..

moonlights should not be on all night, most people have them on 2-4 hours after their normal lights go out. fish need sleep too :) water changes will be the best way to heal your tetra. i would suggest a minimum of 5 a week, if not every day.

moonlights should not be on all night, most people have them on 2-4 hours after their normal lights go out. fish need sleep too :) water changes will be the best way to heal your tetra. i would suggest a minimum of 5 a week, if not every day.

It's a bit difficult every day as I'm using r/o water, I could do every other day, it's a 55g so quite a lot of water ... Thanks for info about moonlights, wasn't sure as I have normal lights on a timer to knock off about 10 pm, and hour or so before we turn all the lights off, I just thought I might leave them on a bit later as I think quagmire must of bumped into the rock when it was dark,
I love it when the fish are sleeping , my husband finds it strange :) usually by 11pm most are sleeping they tend to group together the only one who is out and about is mick.

Oh all 3 tanks are in our living room so once their lights are out there's still a little light from our lamps and the tv .

Again thanks :)

It's a bit difficult every day as I'm using r/o water, I could do every other day, it's a 55g so quite a lot of water ... Thanks for info about moonlights, wasn't sure as I have normal lights on a timer to knock off about 10 pm, and hour or so before we turn all the lights off, I just thought I might leave them on a bit later as I think quagmire must of bumped into the rock when it was dark,
I love it when the fish are sleeping , my husband finds it strange :) usually by 11pm most are sleeping they tend to group together the only one who is out and about is mick.

Oh all 3 tanks are in our living room so once their lights are out there's still a little light from our lamps and the tv .

Again thanks :)

your welcome :) do you have a quarantine tank? i would suggest getting one, all you need is a 10 gallon tank filter and heater. it will be your lifesafer for situations like this. your living room sounds awesome, everybody on here loves pics ;)

your welcome :) do you have a quarantine tank? i would suggest getting one, all you need is a 10 gallon tank filter and heater. it will be your lifesafer for situations like this. your living room sounds awesome, everybody on here loves pics ;)

I do have a qt but at the moment I've 2 black neons in being treated for white spot grrrr... That was going to be my tiny fish or shrimp tank until this happened :(
As for pics I'm a bit stumped as to loading them on the pc ! The iPad app is easy but the quality of photo is poor :( and my phone is just useless :( it was a decision on the 1st of August new mobile or new canister filter ... Guess what won ;)

And I'm not needing the heaters at the moment , for the last 2 months I've been trying to cool them down , I'm leaving the lids open during the day . .. It's very hot here in Tenerife ...

I'm so looking forward to building a new 100g or more depending on what we decide ... All for a Pleco :) I love my fish <3

I do have a qt but at the moment I've 2 black neons in being treated for white spot grrrr... That was going to be my tiny fish or shrimp tank until this happened :(
As for pics I'm a bit stumped as to loading them on the pc ! The iPad app is easy but the quality of photo is poor :( and my phone is just useless :( it was a decision on the 1st of August new mobile or new canister filter ... Guess what won ;)

And I'm not needing the heaters at the moment , for the last 2 months I've been trying to cool them down , I'm leaving the lids open during the day . .. It's very hot here in Tenerife ...

I'm so looking forward to building a new 100g or more depending on what we decide ... All for a Pleco :) I love my fish <3

i hate how ipads are so "advanced" but they cant even take a decent picture ;) im glad your building a bigger tank for the pleco :) im currently searching for a bigger tank for my red devil. im going to check out a 135g that has bad seals for 40 bucks so as long as its only the silicone that needs to be replaced, i will be getting it.

i hate how ipads are so "advanced" but they cant even take a decent picture ;) im glad your building a bigger tank for the pleco :) im currently searching for a bigger tank for my red devil. im going to check out a 135g that has bad seals for 40 bucks so as long as its only the silicone that needs to be replaced, i will be getting it.

Totally agree about the iPads ...
My mick is the main fish, he's beautiful, but we've had him nearly 2 years and he had a bad start in life same as quagmire (by the way these are the only ones with names)
Bargain at 40$ , it will probably cost around 250 euros to build , maybe 300 but it's way cheaper than buying one here .

Gutted :( :( he passed away during the night, he was my first tropical fish, he will be missed ...so sad :(

Back
Top Bottom