black spot on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi and thanks in advance for reading :) I recently took in five goldfish that were part of children’s party entertainment and were going to be disposed. They were given to me in a tiny bowl and before I could go out the next day to purchase a tank, two of them died. Since then I have lost two more (two and three days after I took them) and have one left.

She seems to be doing well, is always swimming around and is eating but she has developed a black spot on her head this week (photo attached). I read that this may have something to do with the ammonia levels but I need help to correct the water.

I have her in a 10 gallon tank with a an Aqueon quiet flow LED pro power filter and a heater (we purchased an aquarium kit). The water levels, according to the API test trips are as follows: NO3 - 0; NO2 -0; KH between 0-40; GH between 0-30. The pH level on the test looks like 6.0-6.5 but I did a separate test in a tube with a high range pH test and it looks closer to 7.6, so I'm not sure which to trust.

She has been in the tank for two weeks (with gravel and an artificial plant); I haven't done a water change yet because I'm not sure how to proceed since the water levels are unfavorable.

I hope that this isn't too much information. I feel terrible that I have lost four fish already and want to give this one a chance. Thanks again. - JP

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 48
Make sure your following the directions step by step on testing. Start with 50% water changes. 2 weeks into a new tank uncyclced it's gonna spike the levels fast specially with a gold fish. Don't over feed. 1 time a day. And not alot. If there's alot of food falling to the bottom, it's too much. To get harmful bacteria out of the tank vacuum the gravel and wipe the glass down on the inside.'I use a scotch hard green pad, very lightly, and then water changes. Sometimes 2 50% water changes. It will get better after the tank is cycled.

Thank you so much for answering me. The water levels that I shared above are the same as the water that I have prepared - can you offer any guidance how to adjust the water levels in the prepared water, as they seem to be really off. I put Seachem Prime in the water that I am preparing and read the levels a day later. I'm scared to do a water change if this water is as bad as the water in the tank. Thank you again in advance!

Don't ever be scared to do water changes. They are the top key to keeping the tank in great shape. Water changes will help the filter breath and cycle better. And it will take out the bad toxic in the water. Most importantly with gold fish is to vacuum the bottom and change the water. If you don't do water changes the toxic will build up more and more and kill the fish.

Back
Top Bottom