Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Black Spot on Tail of Glofish Tetra

Hey yíall! This is Berry, my 2 year old glofish tetra. I noticed a small spot on her tail about a week ago. Back then it was tiny and a light gray color, barely noticeable. Today itís gotten much larger & darker. Does anyone have any idea what this might be & how I can treat it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7E2A6A0-257A-4CD1-ACAF-EF73085D5C82.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	321071  

Old 06-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The black dot on your fish can and probably is what is known as black spot disease, also known as diplopstomiasis, and it is caused by a parasite, in this case, flatworm larvae of the genus Neascus.

Typically this occurs when new fish are added to an already established aquarium. I have never had to treat this in any fish, but when researching it, I found this website that explains the disease in more detail, as well as methods on how to treat it. It sounds like it needs to be treated ASAP, so time is of the essence.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks, I read that too. I just don’t understand how it could have gotten into my tank, that’s why I’m hesitant to believe that’s what it is. I haven’t added any new fish into my tank.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I hope your Glofish is okay, she looks gorgeous!

Don’t feel too bad about the diplopstomiasis, everything can happen and the only important thing is to learn from our mistakes.

Tags
black, black spot, fish, glofish, spot, tail, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com