Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Blackmoor Eye Injury: Fungus?

So a few nights ago a was doing a routine water change and unfortunately my blackmoor got curious and got too close to my syphon when I was cleaning. It got sucked up and injured its eye. He is swimming and eating normally; really active actually; and nothing but his eye seems to be affected. After the injury I added 5mls of melafix and 4 tsp of aquarium salt as a precaution. The ryukin fish is not at all bothering the blackmoor either which is good. However early this morning I noticed what looks like fungus growing over the eye. This is 2 days after the injury. I have pictures that show the eye about 30 minutes after the accident and some from this morning with the fungus. I just want to know how to help the little guy. Do you think he is going to lose his eye? I don't think he's bad enough to be concerned about death yet either...hopefully.
Basic Info:
1~Blackmoor injured eye
2~ammonia=0ppm, nitrite=0ppm, nitrate=1ppm, pH=7.6, temp=70F
3~ temporarily in a 10 gal tank which has been set up for 2 months...cycling a new 30 gal tank
4~airation and inside tank filter
5~2 little fish, the blackmoor about 2 inches long and a ryukin about 2.25 inches long
6~do a daily water change of 25-50% water change since he got sick
7~Had fish for a month
8~Nothing new
9~Seaweed 3 times a week and sinking pallets 2x a day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_171304.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	306715   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_171307.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	306716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_061446.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	306717   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_061425.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	306718  

Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that's a bad one. Fungus initially attacks dead tissue, so it's a safe bet that the accident damaged a substantial percentage of the eye. IMO the best weapon against fungus is ultra pristine water. Melafix is one of many readily available antiseptic type meds. It has had mixed reviews on this forum. I've heard Fungus Guard mentioned as somewhat effective.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would not think the eye will recover.Whether the fish loses it completely is not possible to say yet. This link may help if the eye gets worse and does fall out.
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVw...UGp267n8sb4RU-
Basically says Nitrofuracin [not Nitrofurazone] for eye falling out due to injury.
Nitrofuracin is a combo of nitrofurazone, furazolidone and a light dose of methylene blue . Used as a bath or in tank.
I have got more then most with the vacuum and many have permanent damage depending on which vac I am using.
I instantly kill some with my larger tube..My vacs are just PVC pipe on hose/tubing as most my tanks are bare bottom .
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, eye, fungus, injury, moor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com