Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to 88mTransco
blind cave tetra

If a blind cave tetra has inflamed gills, mouth won't close, swims like a leaf in a breeze, show signs of Finn rot, red discoloration where body meets fins. It's about a year and a half old, 25 gal tank, water changes not a regular thing. What could be wrong?

Not my fish! A friend has this poor little guy... What can I do to save the blind fishy

Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a serious water toxicity problem. Fin rot and inflamed gills are flashing neon signs warning that something's off with water parameters. If you can test the water for your friend with an API test kit, I'll bet ammonia and nitrite are off the charts. Huge water changes are likely the only thing that will save this fish. I'd suggest 50%, then wait two hours and change 50% more, adding clean, conditioned, temperature-matched water slowly into the tank each time. Then check parameters after an hour and post your results here so we can determine how to proceed. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My fish had nasty disease like this. One fish got it and then the rest of the tank got it. They all died within one day after I got them. Dang pet smart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com