Blind Cherry Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a very under-developed female Cherry Barb who has developed blindness over the course of three weeks. She had sight when I got her ( six months ago) but never grew much and then I noticed she began staying almost always in one place, was seldom eating unless it literally was right in front of her nose, and began not noticing food and other fish etc. In front of her. She is so sweet and so pathetic. I have tried getting food to her but she just does not know it is there. It is so sad because she knows the others are eating in the morning and it is so sad to see her efforts. She knows there is food but does not know how to get it. What can I do? How can I feed her? Should I isolate her or euthanize her?

have you tried dipping the food in garlic? I just wonder if that would help her find it easier ( just an idea )

I feed her dry flakes. What is the best way to add the garlic scent? Also, can all of them have it without harm?

Newfisher said:
I feed her dry flakes. What is the best way to add the garlic scent? Also, can all of them have it without harm?

Garlic isn't bad for them. U can actually buy food NLS Thera A has garlic in it. I was recommended that NLS by someone on the forum u can also buy garlic guard by sheacem that u can dip the food in. Hopefully some one else will have better advice than me...

If being blind is still new, I would expect it will get the hang of it more with time. I have a blind fish as well and he does pretty well. Some fish like cave tetras are blind most of their life. Will it hunt around the bottom after a feeding looking for fallen food? If so you could try a sinking pellet.

Thanks for ypur responses. I have tried sinking pellets. When she can find the bottom ..which is infrequently...the bottom feeders have already gotten tbete for the pellets etc. She has like this for at least three weeks...maybe more. I just finally noticed her weird behavior. Somehow she must be getting some type of nourishment. She is considerably smaller in length and girth than the other fat and robust females but she is swimming and does not seem to be suffering from any syptoms of stavation. I can't figure how she is eating. This special garlic food that was mention...where do you find it?

Check local shops and if not online, try drsfosterandsmith.com.

I would probably get a pitcher from from the dollar store, and scoop the blind fish up in it for feeding every day.

I agree with Siva. If its at all possible, you really should try to seperate her for feeding time so she has a chance to eat & can do so at her own pace. You would atleast be able to be assured that shes getting sufficient nourishment. Good luck!

Maybe u could put a breeder box
In the tank for feeding :)

Back
Top Bottom