Blind gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiveSquid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got two moonlight gourami. One is about four inches (maybe three) and is either blind or really freakin' dumb. He uses his feelers all the time and doesnt seem to really notice other fish swimming right in front of him. When I feed them, he doesnt come eat with the others. In fact, Ive not seen him actively eating yet; even when I put tubifex worms in right above him. I know he must've been eating or he wouldnt be so big, but I am quite curious. Is there some way to find out? Should I just try to poke him, and if he doesnt move assume hes blind?

If he is blind, how can I get him to eat? Will he just scavenge off the bottom?

Welcome to AA LiveAquid!!

How recently did you get these gouramis? It sometimes takes gouramis upwards of a week to "settle in". They use their feelers to get their surroundings, so when they are in someplace new, they will use them a bit more.

Once he gets settled he should start eating. As far as the blindess...hm...does he have both eyes? If so, are they clouded over or damaged in any other way?

I got the gouramis maybe three days ago. His eyes look fine, except theres a tiny little milky dot in the center of each. He did run from the net though, so while I suppose he might be psychic, or a ninja-fish, Im leaning towards your suggestion of adjusting to new surroundings.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom