Bloat in synodontis catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402981017.767366.jpg
My cats belly is a balloon! Need ideas fast for what will help him please. I've heard of peas for other fish will that work for him as well??

I've been feeding him peas. He is eating them. I think I caused it, I know I did, I changed the tank all around and did a major change with the hardscape so I think I stressed him out to this point. I'm guessing when I moved everything in the tank I also moved his spot (unknowing) and caused this. Otherwise nitrates and all readings are fine. No other ailment in the tank at all. Now I find myself hoping for him to either burp or have a big fart lol! He's one of my favourite fishies so I have to joke a bit but trust me my goal is on saving him.

The only other trick I can think of would be the Epsom salts since he looked like he was floating already unfortunately. Good luck :)

I'm concerned about Epsom salts only because with him being a skinned catfish. I've never used any kinds of salt with any thin skinned fish vs scaled before. He's more sensitive to it. Unless Epsom salt is different? I've never used them with fish before.

I haven't used Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) with catfish. I have used sea salt (NaCl) on a large bn catfish and found no issues although I didn't take the dose quite as high for reasons as you mention.

I think peas first, then Epsom salts as things get more desperate as the article has. I have found this is best done in a QT of tank water. That way if the fish has problems it can be put back into the tank.

I wasn't very good in the sciences, NaCl, would that be aquarium salt? Or actual table sea salt? I'm leaning towards the "dips" for him at this point. Been feeding peas since last night and his belly isn't going down. Isn't getting bigger either but not decreasing as fast as I would like.

Yes, NaCl is usually marked as aquarium salt (here anyway) and is the same as table salt (excluding any additives the table salt may have).

Thank you. I'm going to give it a go.. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom