Bloated & Finrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Lover97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I'm still pretty much a newb in this forum or this hobby in general.

So, I happen to crush at my relative's place for a few days and see these guys.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help? These two are not mine though, but I just want to do something. I doubt their owner even buy a water conditioner. ?

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpg
    IMG_5599.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5611.jpg
    IMG_5611.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 71
Wow! That is horrible, I'm glad you're trying to help them! The first thing I would do is a partial water change, maybe start with 10-20% and just continue these water changes daily until you can get the water parameters in good shape (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-20 nitrate) this could take a while, if you don't have much time, just do your best to keep ammonia down. If you don't have a test kit, you can take some water to a pet store and have it tested like the last replier said, if you do this make sure to ask for your actual numbers, don't just let the store tell you the water is good. As far as the fin rot and bloating goes, the fin rot would most likely clear up after a few weeks with good quality water, and the bloating can be fixed with fasting and/or a piece of a cooked pea. Ideally they should each be kept in a 5 gallon heated, filtered, cycled tank, but since that doesn't appear to be possible, clean water, and fasting for a few days should help in the short term.

If you can get it, try frozen daphnia before cooked pea for bettas. They're carnivores and will go for it before pea and it's better for them. This is, of course, after a fast. And yes, that water needs changing. Poor things.

Back
Top Bottom