Bloated Fancy Guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilyd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Back again! I have a fancy guppy that has a red swollen abdomen and a very small pouch of something starting to protrud from her rear area. Even her "chest" area (for lack of proper terminology) looks pink underneath and swollen. She looks so swollen that her scales seem to be starting to stand up a little. I just notice the swelling yesterday and put her in a breeding trap to deliver babies, but I'm not positive that's what the problem is. Sound familiar to anyone?

Tank is 60 gallons, set up and running for one year, nothing and nobody is new. Current parameters:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 50
pH 7.2
temp. 80
I vacuum and change 25 % of the water once a month, last time yesterday.

Filtration is a Whisper power filter, 330 gph.

Inhabitants:
1 dwarf blue gouramis
3 red flame gouramis
2 irridescent sharks, each 2 inches
6 small platies, all under 1 inch
2 yellow chinese algae eaters, 2 inches each
2 rummy nosed tetras, each 1 1/2 inches
5 neon tetras, all 1 inch
2 clown loaches, 2 1/2 inches each
4 fancy guppies

Sounds like she has dropsy. Get yourself an anti-fungal medicine as soon as possible. I've used Jungle's fungus clear tablets before with success. You can also try Maracyn-2 (an antibiotic), or a kanamycin based antibiotic. Usually, dropsy is not curable....but it can be done.

Keep as pristine water as possible through treatment (I'd do a pwc every other day) to help.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom