Bloated guppy / fin down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Belk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed my guppy, who seemed fine yesterday, looks bloated and his top fin is down today. Any ideas what could be wrong with him? All the other fish seem fine (he is the only guppy in the tank).
I've done a water change and mighy add some salt.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 16311829778632045007979918052428.jpg
    16311829778632045007979918052428.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 26
Knowing the water parameters would be good?

You may have a Guppy with internal parasites, or a case of stress from poor / or not ideal water quality.

What is your
Ammonia
NitrIte and
Nitrate

pH

Temperature

If you don't have a test kit, then if you have it tested at the store ask them to tell you the exact numbers of each thing their tests show. Write it down to compare over time.

How long has the tank been set up?

How long have you had this Guppy?

Added any fish lately?

I've had this guppy since the end of December and this tank has been set up since maybe February. I haven't added any new fish for months now. There hasn't been any recent changes.

I dropped off some water at the aquarium this afternoon to get tested and they'll ring me with the results in the morning (we are in lockdown so not as easy as just taking it in and waiting for the results unfortunately). I did add some Bactonex today but he isn't eating and is mainly swimming at the top of the tank.

The staff at the aquarium didn't seem to have any ideas other than testing the water, so not much help there unfortunately.

Do you happen to have any caned green peas. You could try feeding little tiny bits of the in side of the pea. Slowly so he can eat it, and then another bit.
See if you can get some fiber in there and help the bloating. Do a couple water changes. To change up the water and see if that helps.

Try to withhold food for half a day and then try the pea bits. And if you have a tank vac you can remove any uneaten food after a little bit they'll often eat some off the bottom of the tank. Or bottom fish will clean up.

Back
Top Bottom