Blood on lower gills and finns? help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaajaa40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope to one day be able to respond to questions on AA, but as of now I am still a newbe and really need the help I have been given so far, it has been great.

I though I was up and running with my tank for about 6 monts, I was loosing a neon or small fish here and there but thought nothing of it. Then I lost about 5 fish in the last week, leaving me with nothing. All fish were from a local pet store at I do have some confidence in.

Well fish are fine one day and then dead with no apparent body signs the next. Actually I fed one of my last Angel fish, he looked and was eating fine, then I came back 4 hours later and found him dead. And he still had good color and no signs on this body, it looked fine.

Last night I finally found something I could ask a question about. One of my last cory cats was dying and I picked him up to take a look. He had red on one of his finns, right where the fin attaches to the body. Also he had red on his lower gills. I held the fish in a paper towel and the towel got red. I am assuming he was bleeding.

I hope the little guy told me was was wrong. If someone could give me help please it would be great. Thanks.

Required info I missed is added here, best I could. I would be cool is some could give me a clue. The LPS said some type of bacterial infection, sold me some anabiotic to add to the tank. Do you agree? See problem below.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
4 neon Tetras, 2 sward tails, 2 Angel fish, 2 Cory Cats.
2~What are your tank parameters?
Sorry no exact values, the LPS tested the water twice last week and said it was about perfect.
>>> I would not mind getting into a test kit, what would someone recommend that is cost effective and good enough for simple tropical fish? ?????????????
3~ How large is the tank?
64 Gallon
How long has the tank been set up?
6 months
4~What type of filtration are you using?
Emperor with the two sides
5~How many fish are in the tank?
There were about 8 fish, now 2
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
Every other week I change 10 gallons
7~How long have you had the fish?
The fish were all at least in the tank for 4 moths or so, the last two added were sword tails, they have been in for 3 weeks, I add them to the tank slowly, 15min float, 15min float with water from my tank added. Dip net and added, trying to avoid pet shop water.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
nothing new to the tank
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
No diet change, Omega1 food (made in USA)

Total and sudden fish deaths can be very mysterious. Without doing a battery of tests anyone would be guessing what caused this. My first suspition would be something toxic in the water or food rather than disease. I would test for ammonia and nitrites and get a report from your local water company to see if there are any elevated levels of toxic chemicals.

Let's rule out this first before treating for some unknown disease.

Back
Top Bottom