Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mgkaelen
blue german ram turning BAD COLORS -- help!

not sure if i should be posting in "unhealthy fish" or not! does anyone have blue german rams that have turned blackish?

you know when tiger barbe get older that start to turn that black in between their stripes? it's happening to the right side of my female blue german ram and i think she is acting a little strange as well. i do'nt know water params right off the bat, but would stress change her colors to something like that? and i know it's not the water params itself that is turning her this color. is this permanent? she doesn't seem lethargic, but her mouth is glub glubbing faster than my male ram and i'm nervous something is wrong! she did eat tonight though, so who knows. has anyone had this sort of discoloration occur?

1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
mgkaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Over the last couple of days, I was changing fish around and my rams turned a dark, dark color. It was stress induced and now that they are in their new tank, all is well.
I am concerned about your ram in regards to the "glubbing." Does she seem distressed? Is she at the surface gulping for air? How long have you had her? Is the male ram changing colors?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mgkaelen
thanks for the response menagerie; so the coloring went away when the stress went away? i'll get a water test tomorrow and try to fix my water params and do a water change. as for the "glubbing", she's not at the surface at all, she is just swimming around and compared to the ram her mouth is just moving about twice as fast as his is. the male hasn't changed colors much, though. i've had them both for about 2 months (got them together). she is acting more odd than usual which gives me reason to be alarmed; she is just kind of hanging out in the plants by herself. poor girl!
1 gold gourami
2 african frogs

freshwater, 10g
live plants
1 otocinclus

125 gallon empty
mgkaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Keep an eye on her and update this thread if anything changes!

Tags
colors, german ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com