Blue Gourami tailfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so one of my blue dwarf gouramis seems to be missing some of his tail. I don't know if it's fin rot, or the dominant one bit it. Should I put some salt in the tank? 1 tsp/gal? Thanks a ton!

Do u have a picture of your gourami? then i can tell u if its fin rot, or something has attacked it?i wouldnt recommend putting salt in it, i have never in my whole life .

Fin rot happens slowly, more slowly then an aggressive buddy nipping at his bum. Chances are he was in a high speed chase earlier that day!

Well, considering its been nipped at, theres really no quick fix. Adding 1 tblspoon aquarium salt per gallon will help speed up the process, but I must say, it has been bitten dead smack in the center of its tail, and even if it doesn't totally heal, it still looks unique! And as long your fishys still making her way through day to day activities and not too offended by her aggressive roommate, no harm done!
Many of my fishies either came with war wounds or developed them here (yikes) and as long as its not nipped too close to the body, they continue on as normal!
Maybe throw in a few more females to distract his focus..
Good luck!

The only thing is, I don't wany any babies lol! I live 100 miles from the nearest pet store so I would be leery about putting them in a bag and driving them all the way. But I will try the salt! And there are 3 males in there, but the big boy never bothers the red one, I don't know why. I can't wait to get my plant order to make more hiding spots for them! He is still swimming around just fine, he just stays near the top usually. Thanks for your help Lynae! MUCH appreciated!

Well yeah, chances are your numbers could increase....
Try the salt, I'm sure you will see some improvement. And keep an eye on their sketchy behavior..
Good luck and no problem!!

Back
Top Bottom