Blue Ram with Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I knew my male blue ram was still a little stressed from his recent move, but now I see that he has a bit of cottony growth on him. Right at the very tip of his top black 'spike' fin, he has a tiny bit of cotton-like stuff. I think that it's just a cotton fungus, or maybe columnaris?

I've treated for this successfully before, but I don't remember with what medicine (it was a really long time ago). My first thought is a QT tank with Melafix, but I'm looking for suggestions.

TIA!

My first thought is a QT tank with Melafix, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Sounds good to me. I have treated fungus with mela-fix before in no time. It worked wonders.

Don't forget to remove the carbon from your filter however.

Thanks Devilishturtles!

I've looked through my 'medicine cabinet' and found both Melafix and Pimafix...does anyone have any ideas which one would be better?

I believe Pima-Fix is directed more at fungal infections if you have it, however Mela-Fix will do you the same thing. Since you have both, I'd try the Pima-Fix first.

Wow...thanks again :D That was an impressive response time!

Anyway, the QT tank is now set-up and Pimafix is in. In the process, I've managed to attain this rank of 'real aquarist'. Now, please excuse me while I go clean up the three gallons of fish water that is currently soaking into my dining room furniture (the only nice furniture I own, by the way) :roll:

If the area where you see the growth wasn't "injured" (i.e. damaged in a fight or by running into some rock or something in your tank), then I think the odds are much greater that it is columnaris than it is a fungus. Columnaris is a bacteria (gram-negative flexibacter) which looks very much like a fungus. It takes many forms, one of them where it starts on the top of a fish and the infection gradually spreads down the fish's side, almost like a saddle on a horse. In this form, it is often given the common name "saddleback disease."

IF that is indeed what your ram has, then MelaFix (antibacterial) will be more effective than PimaFix (antifungal). Though realistically speaking, unless you catch the infection very eary and have a particularly hardy fish--and particularly weak strain of columnaris--neither is going to work.

I just had 5 dwarf neon rainbowfish with columnaris (though in the form of mouth "fungus"). I tried a combo MelaFix/PimaFix treatment, no luck. Switched to a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn-II (both broad-spectrum antibiotics), no luck. Then went to Kanamycin (another broad-spectrum antibiotic),which managed to kill all the bacteria in my filter :evil: but still was unsuccessful in treating the infection.

In the end, I lost all five of those fish. :cry:

Good luck to you. From what I have read, columnaris strains vary incredibly in their severity. Hopefully your ram has a weak strain and you will be able to get rid of it.

P.S. -- If you want some good news, almost *all* of the "success stories" I have heard of people treating columnaris had to do with when it struck in this saddleback form. I suspect that is because the infection is almost entirely external. In the case of the mouth fungus, eventually deep lesions develop in the mouth area (it basically starts eating away the flesh by the mouth), and so the infectin is really rooted deep internally in the flesh of the fish--which means it is much more internal, and harder for a waterborne antibiotic to get to the main source of the bacteria.

Thanks for the reply, JohnPaul. That brings up something I was thinking...can I use Melafix *and* Pimafix at the same time to make sure that I'm treating with the right thing? Or would that cause problems? It is only a five gallon tank, so I'd really have to stay on top of the water params, but would that give me a better chance of success?

MelaFix and PimaFix are designed to work together, so yes, you can definitely treat with both at the same time, and I would suggest if you go this route that you use both.

Thanks, JohnPaul. He is looking much better today - the cottony growth looks to be gone completely and he just ate. I will add both Pimafix and Melafix tonight and keep it up for a week, just in case.

So far, so good... :D

Back
Top Bottom