body fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiz561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I don't know why, but it seems like all I have are problems/diseases with my fish!!! First off, I have some cichlids (three red zebra and one aggressive johanni). My johanni has always been pretty agressive since I've had him, so I put a tank divider up and kept the others seperate from him. It worked until my zebra's decided to dig under the divider and get onto the other side. It then forced me to drain and fill my tank. Granted, I have been religous about doing the tank refills for hte past month or two now, but I'm in the middle of moving...

However, it seems like my fish has just about always had fin and tail rot and I've used melafix that worked pretty well on restoring them. A few months later, it looked as if some of the zebras were developing ich, so I dumped in some coppersafe and things looked like they were getting better. After the month of the coppersafe, I continued with the water changes and then started to use salt in the tank, according to the directions. So now, about a week or so ago, the fins look like they are starting to rot again, and that the zebras might be developing body fungus. The one zebra in particular, the tail fin is almost completely gone and there are patches of white on the fish. However, it seems like it's only on one side and behind the pectoral fin. The other side is OK, but you can see a little bit of white starting to form. All the fish seem to swim and eat OK as well.

So today, I did a water change, put more coppersafe in it and I'm starting to use Maracyn to treat the body fungus, if that is what it is. I have an eheim canister filter in which I don't touch at all. I've never changed the media in it at all. The filter did come with a carbon pad, in which I removed a before the use of the Melafix (a few months ago). I also have two airstones in the tank for some aeriation. It also seems like all the fish are pretty aggressive, but no matter what I do, nothing helps calm them. I had about a dozen clay pots all around the tank before, and yesterday, I just bought about 5 of those extremely long plants (go from the gravel to the top of the tank), and had 6 plants left over from before, which go about half-way up the tank. I also have a red lavarock and 2 slate lava rocks that sit on top of the red lavarock. I also bought a plastic fake rock thing that sits in the corner, but they seem to avoid it. Finally, I have one clay pot and a littel bit of a broken clay pot in the tank as well. The other dozen clay pots, there's no room in the tank for htem so I didn't put them in.

I don't know why I have so many problems with diseases and my fish! :-( If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, or if this is body fungus or something else, please let me know! Thank you in advance.

can you tell us the parameters of your tank? anyway, the best thing so far for curing those ich is to raise the temperature to 84oF for two weeks. gets rid of the fungus as well without the hazard of those meds. since they are cichlids, they can endure temperature as such. then after the last spot has been detected, continue the temperature for a week and then restore it to 74oF-80oF. works well.

temps

Thanks for the reply. I usually keep my temp around 84 degrees, so I'm hoping that it would eliminate the ich no matter what. I'm guessing the cichlid's are OK at that temp.

As for the meds, I've been putting them in for a week and the white stuff appears to be looking better, but not fully gone. Also, since I bombarded my tank with plants, I think my fish have been a little happier and calmer. I'm hoping that when I get more money, I can put some more plants in the tank for them...

Thanks!

i used maracyn for my frog that had fungus and it cleared him right up!!! i was amazed. keep with it and let us know if there is more improvement!!

Back
Top Bottom