Boesemani rainbow ill. Not sure what it is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed 1 of my rainbows just swimming around the top of my tank lately. Now, the last 2 days, I've noticed that her face has turned a reddish color, almost like it's raw. And the scales on the head have started shedding.

All water parameters are normal.

I've had 2 tetra whisper ex70 filters running, but 1 stopped working about a week and a half ago. Everything has still remained normal.

No other changes have been made to the tank.

My research has made me super paranoid that it could be fish TB. Here's a few pics, Idk how well they will help.

Thank you for any help!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1447640528158.jpg
    1447640528158.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 1447640542817.jpg
    1447640542817.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1447640790907.jpg
    1447640790907.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 1447640804976.jpg
    1447640804976.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 58
Not a single soul has EVER seen this and can shed some light for me?

I'm not sure honestly. I looked at this thread before but didn't answer because I'm not sure.

Some guesses:

Columnaris (fuzzy makes me think of it)

Gill flukes (the redness)

Fish TB is a big assumption but it is something to consider. Maybe this can be a bump for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Caleb

Worked all day didn't see!
Fish is getting whipped by someone !!
Looks like fungus that does not grow on healthy skin.
Only on injuries that become infected.....
If this is not from aggression then I would think you HOB failure is making a difference and water parameters are not normal???

Does NOT look like TB and it really does not just develop quickly.

It makes me feel slightly better that you sound certain it's not TB lol. Honestly, there's not much in the tank right now. Nothing that's aggressive anyways. I'm sure there's always a chance one of them went rogue on her.

I've been keeping up with extra water changes since my one filter went down, but maybe that just isn't enough.

Any recommendations on treating it if it's fungal? Also, will it spread to others? I don't currently have a QT setup.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Plus one on not TB. Would of gone bacterial or fungal but wondering if there was a water chemistry trigger from the filter down. Other fish ok?

I checked her out this morning and theres a ball of what looks like cotton where her scales are missing on her face.

Sad to say that she died during the day today.

The more I read, the more I'm almost positive it was fungal and not TB. It makes me feel like a crappy fish keeper because a lot of articles point to poor quality and cleaning. I thought that I've been doing really well keeping a healthy, clean tank. I guess there's always more that you can do.

The only thing that I'm not finding very clearly is a way to treat this.

Is this something that I should be treating my entire tank for? And if so, with which meds?

I would treat the tank like it had columnaris..
The combo of meds will take care of most anything(MOST).
Kanamycin and Furan 2 at the same time...
Sorry about your fish.

Ok, I'll stop and get those today. Is there anything I have to worry about as far as using those meds? Like are they going to mess with the beneficial bacteria? Or will it affect what fish I can add in the future?

I also have kuhli loaches. Are the meds safe for scaleless fish?

I assume I should remove the carbon from the tank also.

Thank you, by the way. I appreciate the input.

I can't seem to find furan2. I found kanaplex but the only fungus med I've found is fungus guard from tetra with nitrofurazone as the active.

Will that work?

Awesome! Thank you for the super quick response!

So I've dosed the tank for the first time. I only did a half dose so not to totally shock everything in there that might be perfectly healthy.

I'm going to follow the process listed but only in half doses. Hopefully everything else is fine.

Will update.

And thank you to everyone for all the help. Sometimes I really feel like I know nothing about the aquarium game and it makes me feel like crap, but you guys are all awesome for being here to help. I hope I can learn a lot from everyone here!

Seems to be. No one seems any more or less active than usual. I have a few rummynose and the red seems a little pale from stress, but that happens when I gravel vac too so I'm not too alarmed by it. Will have to wait until morning to check for any true change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom