Bolivian Ram Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok - so my 75 gallon tank is finally set up and is the new home to 6 new fish. Yesterday I got 3 YoYo Loaches (they're so adorable) and a pair of Bolivian Rams. Late last night I got to thinking that I should've just bought a third Ram because I want 3 in the end anyway so why not get them at the same time when they can grow together. So today I went back to the lfs and they had a single Ram remaining so I snatched him up. I slowly acclimated him and released him. It took him about 45 minutes to swim to the other side of the tank to meet up with the other pair. Now they all seem to be taking turns locking lips - like Kissing Gouramis do. I've never seen Rams do this before. Is it the a dominance / trying to establish an pack order type of thing? This is a 75 gallon tank and there are only three Rams about 1.5 - 2" so there's plenty of room for them.

Yes, it's a dominance thing. Mine did it too to see who got the female. Wonder if one is female????? ;)

Also, since there's lots of room, you won't need to remove the 3rd if 2 decide to spawn like I had to in my 29G. In my 75G, they did just fine, no aggression issues. But as narrow as my 29G is, I had to remove the 3rd.

Funny you would mention this behavior, I just completed a profile on these often under appreciated cichlids here.

You will find this behavior described within. Good luck.

(Note - I also moved this thread to the Cichlid Discussion forum)

I have two males and I have only seen them do that once or twice. So, it is definitely a dominance thing. Usually things don't get to that point between the two of them, but it happens sometimes.

I read the profile after you had posted your reponse Jchillin, very good read! I thought I had posted a reply sooner, but I guess I forgot. :oops:

Anyway, while my Rams don't seem to be locking lips as much anymore they can still be caught in the act from time to time. I just caught them a few minutes ago while I had my camera handy. I was able to catch the 'altercation' on film (or should I say on memory card :lol: )

Attachments

• ll2_117.jpg
    ll2_117.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 127
  • ll1_332.jpg
    ll1_332.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 130
  • ll_112.jpg
    ll_112.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom