Bosemani fish losing scales - Advice, anyone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr Caviar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone offer some advice for treating a bosemani fish who's losing scales? I've read that this is not uncommon when bosemani fight but this is not the result of fighting. I've had him/her (sorry, I don't know which gender) for a long time, along with another of the same size and two slightly smaller. They all get on GREAT! I never see any in-fighting. The four bosemani live in a large community tank (with discus, flying fox, gourami, clown loach and mollies). The water quality is good and no other fish are sick.

He (for simplicity) has had a bald patch on his side for months but now he's losing scales from above his mouth. Melafix and Primafix have had ZERO affect. I'm in New Zealand where many of the products I see talked about are not available. I can get Furan2, which I've used in the past with other very sick fish but most of them have ultimately died so I'm reluctant to try it on this fish, especially since, apart from the large bald patch and more scale losses, his behaviour has been such that he doesn't seem sick. But the continued loss of scales cannot be a good thing. Any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thanks Delapool

I'm always trying to get a closer look (he moves around a lot!) because I also think it sometimes looks bumpy but I can't quite tell. It kind of looks like some scales that haven't quite lifted off, more so than bumps. If it IS viral, is Furan2 the solution? Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Unfortunately it can last for months and it's a matter of waiting it out. There is no cure apart from good food and water conditions (in a low stress environment). However just an idea here, did you try any other forums? I guess another option could be parasites although seems strange to be so restricted to one fish and [FONT=&quot]localised[/FONT].

I'm assuming your nitrates and other water chemistry are good?

Thanks again, Delapool. I checked again this morning, and the bald patch isn't bumpy as much as it is just slightly rough where the scales are lost. Yes, the water quality of good. Nitrates and nitrites very low, KH and PH good. No other fish are unwell. And the four of them really do get on great. No fighting, just a lot of playful zooming around the tank together. Do you think I should continue the Melafix/Primafix doses? I stopped as it didn't appear that they were doing any good.

Thanks again for the advise!!

It seems you're in the process oy fish-in cycle? Nitrites are not considered a good water condition,should be at 0ppm..pwc's will be a necessity daily until the nitrites zero out along with weekly wc's...this is a source which would not only add stress to the fish in question but all inhabitants as well..

sit in silence

My apologies, tiger terror, for an imprecise answer. Nitrites are zero, nitrates are very low. I do regular water changes and also keep a Nitrazorb bag in the tank, given it is a large community tank. I appreciate the additional input. Cheers!!

My apologies, tiger terror, for an imprecise answer. Nitrites are zero, nitrates are very low. I do regular water changes and also keep a Nitrazorb bag in the tank, given it is a large community tank. I appreciate the additional input. Cheers!!

No apology necessary,best of luck with the feesh...

sit in silence

Thanks again, Delapool. I checked again this morning, and the bald patch isn't bumpy as much as it is just slightly rough where the scales are lost. Yes, the water quality of good. Nitrates and nitrites very low, KH and PH good. No other fish are unwell. And the four of them really do get on great. No fighting, just a lot of playful zooming around the tank together. Do you think I should continue the Melafix/Primafix doses? I stopped as it didn't appear that they were doing any good.

Thanks again for the advise!!

Thanks for the info back.

I'd try the furan 2 to treat for a skin infection. By itself furan 2 is fairly safe (relatively anyways :) ).

Mela/Pima sound out classed on this.

I'd imagine that's going to be a bit of time and expense to get that though?

Triple sulpha I've had some success with. Tetracycline I've never found useful (although others have). Furan 2 would be the better of the three I'd say.

I pulled this
Q: The scales on my fish are falling off.

A: Sounds like the fish has Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia.
Treatment: Treat the fish with Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride Powder, for ten days.
from;Fish Skin Disorders
I can't say I have belief in this diagnosis,but do think the issue is in need of treatment.
Tough to say or offer a good treatment,so I thought I would just add whatever I find that MAY be relevant.

Back
Top Bottom