Bottom Feeders Don't Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlantis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. I am new and just joined today. I have a burning question that I have been trying to get an answer to for a while.

I have been trying for at least a year to keep any kind of bottom feeder alive, but they all seem to die after a week. I bought a Pleco last week and now it is dead. I have tried Gold Headed algae eaters, flying foxes, plecos, ottos, and even giant snails. The only exception is I have a Kuhlli Loach right now that has been living for 4 months. That is what I don't understand. Here is my setup.

20gal rectangular
2 Buenos Aires Tetras
1 Fruity Tetra
2 Electric Yellow Cichlids
1 Kuhlli Loach

I did a water test today also.
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
GH 17.9
KH 89.5

What temp is the tank water?

I would lower the pH to 7 and maintain temp to 25degC. Most catfish/algae eaters like 25degC and neutral pH.

I hope this helps.
Louise :)

I keep my tank at 78F or about 25.5C. I have thought about the pH being a little above neutral before. I may add some driftwood.

Dont lower the pH you have cichlids! They need the pH about 8.2!! And the tetras need the pH at about 6.5. Bad mix of fish you got there. You have to go cichlid or community, sorry.

Yes, I know my fish don't exactly mix well. I bought all of the fish about 2 years ago when I didn't know much about fish keeping, and yes I admit that I still don't know that much, but hopefully after about a month of staying in this forum I will move up. I am thinking about getting a separate tank so I can have a community tank and a cichlid tank.

I'm not sure but before posting I looked through a tropical aq book I got recently and not knowing exactly which cichlid the electric yellows are, most of the cichlids listed had them in soft acidic to neutral water. Sorry if I mislead :?

Louise

"The Concise Encyclopedia of Popular Freshwater Tropical Fish" by John Dawes (published by Parragon ISBN 0 75257 065 X)

Of all the books I looked through, this one had it all from tank setup through to plant and fish profiles.

Louise

Back
Top Bottom