bristlenose and hatchet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10g tank has Panda, Pygmy and Pepper Cories (total of 5). I am considering adding either 2 Hatchet or 1 Bristlenose.

In your experience, does Bristlenose become aggressive with other smaller cories? I have Pleco looks just like Bristlenose without the tentacles. But the store clerk said it's a Bristlenose. I believe it's a Bristlenose because it cleans my tank better than my sponge. But I did some research and Bristlenose seems to be territorial.

Any chance Hatchet go to the lower part of the tank to steal food meant for cories. I had to get a second tank for the cories because other fish steal cories' food. I figure Hatchet won't bother Cories because Hatchet float on top of the tank. Is Hatchet easy to care for?

Thanks

Hatchets are jumpers, and do best in schools...so less than 5-6 of them is not optimal. Depending on the BN species, it may get a bit big for a 10 gallon, so keep that in mind.

I would suggest getting more than two hatchets as well, I can't imagine them stealing the cories food. I think some floating plants are preferable to give them some cover.

My BN is very peacefull, he shares a cave with a pictus... altho i dont have any smaller bottom dwellers so couldnt comment on the cories. the female dnt grow 'bristles'a such, more like bumps :lol: i've got one who's 3" and only just showing signs of developing bumps...

Firstly i agree that hatchets should be in a group and if you put some floating plant on the top it will stop them from wanting to jump. As for bristle noses they are fine with your cories and the hatchets won't bother them either. if your bristle nose has a big clump of bristles it is a male and will grow to around 6-8", if it is just a small amount of bristles round the front of it's nose or none at all it is a female and will grow to 4-6".

There's also a dwarf species of the BN. That would be much better suited to your 10g tank. :wink:

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

I've only heard that plecos tend to want fresh meat when they get LARGE. I doubt you'd have that problem with your 10g tank. The pelco wouldn't get large enough.

Back
Top Bottom