Bristlenose Pleco Playing Dead??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Toucan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a young pleco who appears to play dead. Is this normal behavior or is she sick?
It is a (probably) female bristlenose pleco approx 6-8 months old. Yesterday I discovered her belly up on the gravel at the bottom of the tank with her mouth wide open and completely motionless. I thought she was dead but then noticed a little gill movement. Shortly she flipped over and resumed sucking on driftwood like there was nothing doing.
I observed her in the exact same position and location this morning.She suddenly got up and is moving around the tank like normal. I have never observed this behavior before and am concerned she may be sick. She appears to be eating normally.

I took a photo of her supine and a photo of her behaving normally (sucking on driftwood). The pleco is fairly active especially at night moving all around the tank and plants.
I am a fairly new aquarist and still learning this hobby. I don’t have a hospital tank to isolate any sick fish unfortunately.
Tank details:
70L lightly planted
Temp: 24C
Filter: Aqua One Clear View 500 Hang on Back
Filter cartridge was changed one week ago
Substrate: gravel and some Fluval Stratum
Occupants: 1 BN pleco 2.5 inches
Added 6 young platies 2 weeks ago (they all seem to get along fine) and I have a few bladder snails
Water Changes: 25% once per week and light vacuuming (done approx 3 days ago)
Water parameter:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
pH 7.6
I use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the tap water for water changes
I feed the pleco Vege wafers one or two per day plus a slice of blanched zucchini once a week and once a week I add some bloodworms (mainly for platies) I have not observed pleco eat those. Platies also get tropical fish flakes twice a day.
I have fluoro lights run approx 10 hours per day.

Attachments

• 310A67CC-56EB-4A39-9A14-123C31700BD8.jpg
    310A67CC-56EB-4A39-9A14-123C31700BD8.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 27659308-133D-46E8-98C4-A3EF8FFFF896.jpg
    27659308-133D-46E8-98C4-A3EF8FFFF896.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 54
My female albino bristlenose does that all the time. It’s like she just lets go of the wood, rock whatever and lays there. Seems like she’s always done it. I wouldn’t worry about it. Peace

Back
Top Bottom