Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bristlenose pleco w/ white patches?

My BN pleco (female) has these white spots/patches on her body. Mostly on her back but also near eyes and spot near tail. She devolped them probably 2 months after I brought her home from LFS. I noticed her color was changing a bit but it was more of a light brown at the time and I contributed it to she was growing and her color was altering. I dont see her much as she's a big hider- but today I noticed the spots/patches look super white. They are not fuzzy and have not spread ever. They have always been in the same area on her. She acts normal, eats normal, looks normal other than this.
I tried researching online a bit but find conflicting results. It doesn't appear to be ich. Possible fungus? I doubt it though, as it never spreads or worsens or anything. Just fluctuates from light brown to white. None of my other critters have signs of this. Is this a camoflauge technique? I read plecos have the ability to do this.... Not sure? Is this just old injury scars? I don't know what she would have gotten injured on.... It appeared she just one day started developing this coloring and here we are now.
I'll post pics I took today. I turned the flash on and realized how distinguished the spots/patches are. Let me know your thoughts. I answered the questionare below....

1~
Bristlenose pleco- female about 4 inches in size. She has whiteish patches on her body. On her back mostly but also near her head and 1 or 2 near her tail. Not fuzzy- not spreading. Had them for several months.
2~
Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 10 Temp: 76 to 78 degrees PH: 6.8ish
3~
72 gallon. 1 year. Cycled.
4~
2 HOB filters rated for 60 gallons each (dont remember off top of my head which brand)
5~
2 BN plecos, 2 bettas, 6 platies, 6 mollies, 20ish tetras
6~
Last WC 5 days ago. Once a week WC @ 25%
7~
Had her for 6ish months
8~
Nothing new at all with tank.
9~
No change to feeding. Algea wafers and sinking bottom feeder pellets.

#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have done a little more digging online about plecos camoflauging and I think this is what I'm seeing. I had no idea they did this. Makes a little more sense to.... When I first got her I had a bare bottom tank with mostly dark decor. A few months later I added more white and bright decor and eventually the white sand. I bet she's camoing to match her surroundings. Does this seem like it fits?

#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds about right
I also find that *common* plecs can change colour aa they grow
Old 05-31-2020, 02:17 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looks like the colour on mine - no health issues or anything.

Tags
bristlenose, nose, plec, pleco, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com