bubble-eye goldfish bubble problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my bubble eye goldfish for two weeks in a tank with an albino or pink Cory,a schwartzi Cory and a Julii Cory. Everyone gets along great but I have noticed my bubble-eye goldfish is having problems with a bubble of his. Its turning black on the bottom. It looks like mold how its growing. I have searched online and only one person said it might be healing everything else is about the actual fish turning black. All readings are good except pH which is 7.5 or up and I have no real way of keeping it down. And everyone is doing fine till this point, I did a fifty percent water change today but I doubt that will actually help since its something internal not something water will actually affect. I have also noticed that the same side of the fish's gill(s) are also alittle more red than the other side. He is in with all soft decorations.Any suggestions?

I can't take pictures since I don't know how to put them up here lol. I have the Nokia Lumia 520 or whatever the numbers are so if I could get a walkthrough on that I could try and show you guys the problems.

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more information so we can better help? Tank size? Exact parameters/what your testing with? Water change schedule (typical %/#wk)? How long you have had this fish? If he is new, was he quarantined for a couple of weeks? Is he a true bubble or a fluid telescope? Pictures would definitely help here as I am not sure exactly what you mean by the bubble is black/mold-like.

For pics, there are two general options in addition to using an outside source for images (such as photobucket or flicker). If these do not work, please post in the forum admin/tech or contact the help desk.

Computer:
Click on the 'advanced reply' button. A new screen will pop up. On the top is a 'paperclip'. Click this and you can download pics from your computer library/files.

App:
Click on the reply button (arrow). At the top of the screen, theres a '+' sign. Click this and you can download pics from your cell library. The pics will not show up in the message but will post when you submit the reply. Hope this helps a bit!

Tank size? 10 gallon tank
Exact parameters/what your testing with? The only thing I can say is my pH is 7.5 or higher. My lovely children emptied out my test lit in the bathtub so its all gone. I can say the corys who have been in there for about a month aren't or wefent havong any issues.
Water change schedule (typical %/#wk)? I chamge 2 gallons twice a week when i vacuum out the tank.
How long you have had this fish? 4 weeks
If he is new, was he quarantined for a couple of weeks? 2 weeks
Is he a true bubble or a fluid telescope? I have no idea what's the difference?

and I am still working on the pictures

Can you please take a look at this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

The first fish are fluid telescopes. They have 'telescoped' (protruding) eyes with fluid filled sacs around them. Also pictured are some moors later in the thread. They also have telescoped eyes. I do not have true bubble eyes as they are too delicate and have too specific of care needs. True bubble eyes have fluid filled sacs that float at/above their eyes. Does this help ID your fish?

Ok, you need a new test kit. And a bigger tank for the goldfish (30+g). 10g is too small for any goldfish, even a baby. I suspect your tank was already stocked with the cories but as I do not keep tropical fish (which should not be mixed with coldwater goldfish), I can not say this accurately but right now, the tank is heavily overstocked.

As it stands, I suspect your ammonia levels are quite high and the issues your having with goldfish are the direct result of this. I would start doing 50+% water changes (wcs) daily until you can address the tank situation. The ph of 7.5+ is a nonissue for the goldfish as they do best in high ph, hard water. The issue is ammonia is more toxic at high ph levels so big wcs daily will be a must here.

In the future, keep the liquid tests under lock and key. Kids should not have access to them or be playing with them- ever. The ammonia and nitrate tests are considered harmful with bottle 2 of the ammonia test being dangerous and can cause chemical burns, eye damage and corrosion (among other wonders). This is coming from a mom of a very inquisitive 4yr old who likes to help with everything fish-related.

Please check out the link below as well- it covers most basic info on care, feeding and other concerns in respect to fancy goldfish. Please ask any questions! :)

Goldfish 101-
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I have the baby-proofing thing where its like a seatbelt and my 2 1/2 year old undoes it atleast three times a day. And thats not including the amount that he actually re-arranges the fish tank decor competely. He has broken two home-made lids and I am out of ideas on how to stop it so we are debating on moving the tank.

And I understand the whole goldfish carbon footprint issue but even if you did the gallon per inch of the fish there is enough. I have a 10 gallon filter put on it so would another filter help the cause? The only other option is to stick the goldfish in a 3 gallon unfiltered tank since they wont take the fish back. (Thats a whole nother story which is absolutely redicilous in itself)

And I looked up a few different forums and people put the two together and its not unheard of since the goldfish is so hardy. The Corys arent salt-water so why is there an issue?

The problem with the inch-per-gallon rule is that each fish has a different activity level, amount of messiness or bioload (goldfish are notoriously messy), and the obvious one being would you keep a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank. I believe it is a fairly decent general guideline for smaller fish with less bioload but there are more exceptions to the inch-per-gallon rule than situations that actually can adhere to it. Goldfish also grow very big, depending on the size of the tank they are in. And when they are in small tanks, like your 10 gallon, their growth will be stunted. This can actually be very painful for fish as they get older. That is even if you can keep the ammonia levels under control for such a messy fish. As said above, your goldfish will need a bigger tank to be happy and healthy. I also agree with the water change regimen. And in regards to the statement about the corys being tropical and the goldfish being coldwater fish, that just means the goldfish prefer much colder waters than the corys. I hope you don't take anything I or anyone else says as we're attacking you. We are here to help. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

well I tried to give the fish back and they wouldn't take it when I learned how high-maintance they are and they wouldn't take him back after 24 hours. Its crazy and I refuse to go there now so now I am looking for a new pet store but for now the time being the ten gallon will suit him fine. I want to get a 40-50 gallon tank in the future and hopefully we will be able to do it sooner than later.

so would adding another filter help the ammonia issues out? i have seen ammonia poisoning and its defineatly not that. i will take the pictures tomorrow when the sunlight is out so everythimg will be clearer to see. Like i said my original problem is whats going on with the guys bubble.

thanks for the faith that the fish is going to last a long time lol. I appreciate that in all honesty.

Last edited:
I completely understand destructive kids, been there done that (had a step son for 8 years who was mentally handicapped, at 8 he still had the mental capacity of a 2 year old) Is there a cabinet you can put chemicals and food in that your little one can't reach? I know explaining to a 2 year old rarely works, but you might let him know that by putting his hands into the tank he might make the fishies sick. He is welcome to look as much as he wants, but no touching.

The ammonia may not be the direct cause of the issue, but it is effecting the fishes immune system which prevents it from being able to fend off whatever the real cause is. For the time being, until you get a definite diagnosis, you'll need to do daily water changes, 50%, to keep the ammonia level as low as possible. Also, cut back on the amount of food you give each day, skip every third day to reduce the amount of waste in the tank and make sure you vacuum really well. The fresh water will help everyone as your filter catches up to the new bioload.

As for adding another filter, ABSOLUTELY! That will give you more space for beneficial bacteria to grow. The fact that you did have a test kit tells you you likely know about the cycling process and bacteria, but if you have any questions please ask.

The concern with mixing the goldfish with cories is because of the different temperature ranges they thrive in. You might take a look at a profile for each type you have to compare what temperature they need.

Back
Top Bottom