Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Calamnaris or Mouth Rot or something else?

How do you tell if your fish has calamnaris or mouth rot or something else all together?

I am not new to keeping fish, however, ive been having an issue with my rainbowfish. I have a rainbow fish that has white saly like growths on his mouth. The reason I think its Calamnaris is the fact that he also has a white string that hangs from it and moves in and out as he breathes. Also, I wiped the white stuff off with a q-tip and it seems to have removed a bit of his lip.

I have treated with parasite clear and fungus clear by jungle. I also used Furan II when i had something similar I the past on a danio. With the danio, it never went away, however, it would get better and come back weeks later

Anyone have similar experience? I would love to hear of a remedy

Parameters
Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - between .25 and. 40 I think that's the next line.
__________________

__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Hi! Lower the temp, add atleast .1% salt (if the fish can tolerate it) & treat with kanamycin sulfate (which can also be combined with furan2). You can also topically apply methylene blue daily or use it as a daily bath. This will help as well. Heres a link with more info:

Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia
__________________

__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
Hi! Lower the temp, add atleast .1% salt (if the fish can tolerate it) & treat with kanamycin sulfate (which can also be combined with furan2). You can also topically apply methylene blue daily or use it as a daily bath. This will help as well. Heres a link with more info:

Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia
Great thank you. I've read that website but as I said, you read so much all the diseases start sounding like eachother. Do you think this is indeed columnaris and will this recipe prevent it from coming back?

Thanks a lot!
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
It sounds like it. Mouth rot & columnaris are different names for the same thing. It is possible that it may be another type of bacterial infection causing the tissue to decay but its impossible to determine what without a microscope. This course of treatment should address the infection but it will not guarentee it from returning again. The white strands sound like a secondary fungal issue which is common with a bacterial infection already present. Good luck!
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
It sounds like it. Mouth rot & columnaris are different names for the same thing. It is possible that it may be another type of bacterial infection causing the tissue to decay but its impossible to determine what without a microscope. This course of treatment should address the infection but it will not guarentee it from returning again. The white strands sound like a secondary fungal issue which is common with a bacterial infection already present. Good luck!
Okay. Thanks again! Man you are quick on these replies! Thanks a lot. It is greatly appreciated.
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
It sounds like it. Mouth rot & columnaris are different names for the same thing. It is possible that it may be another type of bacterial infection causing the tissue to decay but its impossible to determine what without a microscope. This course of treatment should address the infection but it will not guarentee it from returning again. The white strands sound like a secondary fungal issue which is common with a bacterial infection already present. Good luck!
Check out one of my Cory catfish. Do you think this is related?

If you notice in the picture his top fin is looking pretty bad and he ha no side fins left. In fact, on of the side fin in this picture it is broken.

Believe it or not this is better than he did look after I treated for parasites and fungus. My other catfish is totally normal. When i first nituced this I thought it was in a fight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120810_122039.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	111726   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120810_122050.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	111727  

__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
Fin rot is one of the symptoms of columnaris. It is a highly contagious disease. I had it once in my community tank. As soon as I saw it, I culled the two symptomatic fish, did a 50% water change, added 1/2 recommend dose of salt and no one else got sick.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Fin rot is one of the symptoms of columnaris. It is a highly contagious disease. I had it once in my community tank. As soon as I saw it, I culled the two symptomatic fish, did a 50% water change, added 1/2 recommend dose of salt and no one else got sick.
Yeah I've done that to however, I didn't notice it on him cause he usually hides in caves. I think I got it under control as I have a pretty big community tank and no others have gotton it. Its mostly associated with my rainbowfish. Which is an illness they are subseptible to. I think the cat has something else. JFK what do you think? Im not ruling out columnaris.
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Hmm... Looking at the pics, it looks like he was in fight or got caught somewhere & struggled to get free. I don't see any fuzziness or white areas but in person, this may be a different story. You more typically would see the fins degrading & tissue sloughing off- his look cleanly broken. It doesn't mean they won't become infected because the injured areas are open for infection. Keep an eye on him & be prepared to treat if necessary.
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
Hmm... Looking at the pics, it looks like he was in fight or got caught somewhere & struggled to get free. I don't see any fuzziness or white areas but in person, this may be a different story. You more typically would see the fins degrading & tissue sloughing off- his look cleanly broken. It doesn't mean they won't become infected because the injured areas are open for infection. Keep an eye on him & be prepared to treat if necessary.
That's what I was thinking and that's how it looks to me. These guys are very tuff so i don't know.

Here is a list of meds from the site link you provided. I think I am leaning towards the triple sulfa. What would you do?

By using broad-spectrum treatments such as a*Furan Two*&*Kanamycin*combination against diseases with similar symptoms affecting fish, precise identification of specific bacterial or fungal pathogens causing the disease that often display similar symptoms may not be absolutely necessary.Pimafix*shows some promise as a natural treatment for*mild*cases of Flexibacteria (I would not recommend it for more serious cases). Pimafix is effective for a broad range of bacterial and fungal diseases that typically afflict fish and other aquatic animals (especially gram negative). Fish diseases that may be treated in accordance with this product include bacterial fish diseases, such as fin and tail rot, mouth fungus (often caused by the bacterium Flavobacterium Columnaris); fungal fish diseases (such as those caused by microorganisms of the genera Saprolegnia and Achyle) and the like.*Triple Sulfa*may also yield positive results for treatment of Columnaris if used early (although this is not as effective of a treatment for Columnaris as it used to be or as the Kanamycin/Nitrofurazone combination).My professional use of Triple Sulfa has found that it is a good choice along with baths and some salt for mild to moderate infections and is rarely harsh on aquarium environments including plants.
__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Lifeoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad

Yeah I've done that to however, I didn't notice it on him cause he usually hides in caves. I think I got it under control as I have a pretty big community tank and no others have gotton it. Its mostly associated with my rainbowfish. Which is an illness they are subseptible to. I think the cat has something else. JFK what do you think? Im not ruling out columnaris.
Ooops. Sorry jlk not JFK. Lol.
__________________

__________________
Lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mouth, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.