Call me the undertaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dropsy. Seems I've killed my beloved and beautiful betta, Bruin. The last day or two we noticed the pine come scales and knew it was a matter of time. He continues his normal behavior until yesterday after a two day fast and refused his dinner.

My question now is, what to do with the seven neons living with him? I'm not sure of the cause of his dropsy and the neons seem fine. I have two weeks worth of water params if needed, but I feel like this was a betta issue not a water issue. Are there any things we need to do before we try again?

Sent from my iPhone

Well dropsy is a very odd disease that we know very little about. Usually it is caused by constipation and builds up fluids in their torso. But it can be caused by extremely poor water conditions. Unless your water is so clouded that you can't see through it, it's most likely a betta problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Emily, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Betta. It is hard when there is a loss.

Autumn, thank you so much for your sympathy. He was so beautiful. By far my favorite fish in all seven tanks. We even bought him the ten gallon because I felt sad for him after a week of moping in the 1.5g cube.

Sent from my iPhone

Well dropsy is a very odd disease that we know very little about. Usually it is caused by constipation and builds up fluids in their torso. But it can be caused by extremely poor water conditions. Unless your water is so clouded that you can't see through it, it's most likely a betta problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the response. The neons are probably golden right?

Sent from my iPhone

I would make sure to do a really good gravel vac and get out any extra stuff like poo and uneaten food. (Basically a cleaning pwc)

Wait a few days and make sure everything is going good and gently rinse the filter pad in treated water like you normally would if it hasn't been done in the last week or so.

The idea is to make sure you have as clean of water as possible, don't over feed.

See how it goes. Don't take out any plants or decos, you want as much BB to stay as possible.

If something goes bad like fish get sick, post in sick fish section.

Probably things will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom