Callamanus worms treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I have a danio in my sons tank with a red anus and she/he is very bloated and lethargic. I don't think it is dropsy because this fish has looked like this for a while. The red anus is new. There is no pineconing.

I was going to try to treat for Callamanus worms just in case and go from there. I have read the previous posts and found that AngelsPlus sells Levamisole which can work well but I have to wait for shipping. I was curious IF Safeguard Canine Dewormer can be used safely (it's active ingredient is Fenbendazole (which I have also read works well). Seems Levamisole is preferred.

I have just decided I will order the Angels Plus food anyway (can't hurt to have it on hand) but should I attempt SafeGuard to slow this down or keep the fish alive until it gets here?

Thanks

We had this discussion a couple months back in our local club, yes canine dewormer does work for fish.

Take the 1g packet and crush as finely as possible mix into water and soak your pellets or flakes then feed normally. Here is another person who used it with bloodworms.

HoustonFishBox - Feeding Your Fish Habit - camallanus worms

I prefer good old Levamisole but in a pinch that will work, especially since its available everywhere.

Thanks! We just found that article and mixed up some Safe Guard into blood worms.

When I get my food from Angels Plus (that is supposd to have levamisole) I will switch them over to that.

Fingers Crossed!

The process of soaking medication in blood worms is quite the nasty task. Bleck

If I am using medicate food do I need to treat the tank as well?

Great thanks! No ill just wait for them to start pooping worms! Lol

Back
Top Bottom