Camallanus just won't die! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been treating my angelfish/ram 55g tank for camallanus worms for MONTHS! I tried many meds BEFORE discovering the disgusting red pests hanging from my favorite angels anus. Since then, I have put them through:
- 4 in-tank levamisole treatments (3 weeks between each
- praziquantel medicated food for (2) 10 day periods
- food I soaked in fenbendazole (dog wormer) and metrondiazole for 3 days
- food I soaked in levamisole for 3 days
They will not eat the jungle parasite med pellets. The only fish that shows 1 worm is my favorite angelfish. His belly looks pinched, he's a bully (I'm guessing he's hungry, and he is pale most of the time.
All the fish are getting pasty gills, which tells me I'm either throwing too much medication at them, or they have yet another problem....skin/gill flukes maybe? I'm so tired of treating instead of enjoying. I found another med....piperazine...in a google search, but it's a cat wormer. Should I try to soak more food? Or put my baby out of his misery? He was getting so big and pretty! ?.
And, are the rest of my beauties just going to follow suit?

The medications you are using don't necessarily kill the worms, some may only paralyse them and the worms are then passed. It is extremely important to clean any substrate (if you have substrate in the tank) 24 hours after treatment, to eliminate any live worms or larvae that may re-infest the fish.

Thanks for replying. But, I followed the directions well. I dosed levamisole. Did a 90% water change three days later. Repeated the process 3 weeks later....and a third time 3 weeks later. I fed fenbendazole food for 10 days straight (to the infected fish). I see the worm come out more during these processes, but it they don't come OUT! I fed TONS of live and frozen foods during the levamisole....the things are stuck good! I also used the dog wormer stuff in food for 3 days. I think it was hurting the fish more than the worm! I'm sadly beginning to think I will have to rid my tank of this gorgeous angelfish. I can't think of what else to do! Apparently, I found super camallanus worms, resilient to normal meds. I found something called Delos....and am considering ordering it as a last ditch effort. (I'm way past prazi, and those types....which I used in food and the water). Is there any other med I should try? Or is there a possibility this is something else? His symptoms: red worm goes in and out of anus (but it's so small, and doesn't come out very far, and there seems to be only 1). Red anus area. He say at the bottom, pale, only coming up to eat for a week before I noticed the worm. After levamisole, he now swims around and eats. He only looks pale when he sits still, or right after eating. He also jerks around after eating. He's incredibly mean, and has become a bully to other angels. He acts starving, but doesn't grow, and his belly appears pinched. He has what appears to be lumps under his gill plates, but never flashes. The only odd movement he makes is lifting his anal fin, and using his ventral fins to swipe at his anus area....especially when pooing. He does have a bluish green color on his gills, that appears to be "spreading" to his sides, but it may just be developing colors. He has little black spots on his sides, but they've been there since day 1. Can I just pull this stupid worm out?

Back
Top Bottom