Can anyone help me determine if what I'm dealing with is ich please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Live2Love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have 1 betta in a filtered 2.5 gallon tank and began noticing some odd behaviors a few days ago. Willard loves to eat, but lately, he comes up for food, but mostly ignores it. Odd behavior #2, Willard is seen zipping or kind of jerking like something's bothering him. Odd behavior #3 is more of what I'm seeing differently in his tank.... I'm noticing little specks on him...I began noticing them 2 days ago, kinda under his "chin" by his gills. Today I noticed they moved away from the"chin" area and are on his body and fins and tail. There's not a lot on him, but I do see some. Also, I am seeing quite a bit of specks floating around in the tank. But not sure if that could be from his water conditioner, which has aloe, or the aquarium salt I added as a precaution to it being ich. API aquarium salt directions say 1/2 tsp rounded per gallon, and I did 2 of the 1/2 rounded tsp for a 2.5 gallon tank. Additionally, I read to increase the temp to 86°. Unfortunately my camera sucks and won't focus enough to show what's stuck to him. When I Google search images of fish with ich, that seems to be what I'm seeing on my fish. It's not a horrible amount, but they are there, nonetheless. There is also a carbon filter being used. Thanks for any and all advice!

Your tank is very small, unless you have a way to thoroughly clean the gravel every other day for about 10 days, during a 50% water change, you will probably have to go the ick med. Route. I prefer the non med method, heat, WC' s, salt, ect. But in order for that to work depends on cleaning out as many ick parasites from the gravel as possible. Hope this helps and your betta gets better. note: also research "oodinium" velvet disease. Not as common as ick but similar symptoms.

Thank you. I will do more research and monitor him closely. If I still see this continue through tomorrow, I'll try your ich remedy! I actually have the temp raised to 86° now, for ich treatment and have aquarium salt in the tank. Watching him very closely. He's not interested in eating, but he does "beg". Ugh I'm confused!

A lone betta doesn't require much food. Don't panic. Try not feeding him for a couple of days, then feed him very sparingly.

Ok, thank you. I'll see how he reacts to that.... I'm just worried, he's my first betta and I'm just being cautious. Thanks for the advice!

The key to treating Ich with heat is to make sure the temperature never drops. Also ensure that your thermostat is accurate. It sucks to treat Ich for 2 days only to realize your tank was at 82 because your thermostat was inaccurate.

It may get worse before it gets better but by the end of the 3rd day all the visible Ich should be gone. If it isn't, something probably isn't right. Remember to treat all the way to the end and not stop once you can't see it anymore.

Also, Ich looks like salt, white-ish. There are lots of pics of Ich out there. If it looks different than that post a pic so we can be sure.

Dito Dalto. I'd recommend a glass thermometer, I used to have those "stick on the side of the tank, sticker thermometers." They suck.

I never use chemicals, only raise the heat and that's all. It's hard to watch, but be patient. I then usually leave the heat up for about a week. Overkill? Maybe, but I've had success with this ever since I stopped using the chemicals.

I then usually leave the heat up for about a week. Overkill? Maybe, but I've had success with this ever since I stopped using the chemicals.
That is not really overkill at all. A week after the last of the visible Ich shows itself is the shortest amount of time I apply the heat treatment. I usually do 2 weeks total or 10 days after the last visible Ich.

Back
Top Bottom