Can anyone help me plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought 6 beautiful green barbs (puntis semifasciolatus) and put them in my 40g display. They seemed very happy during the day and looked great schooling around in my tank. Every morning when I wake up one is dead, only one each night. I'm down to 3 now. I don't know what the problem is. The only thing I can think of is my eclipse cats (horabagrus brachysoma) are killing them at night since they are nocturnal feeders. I have other small fish in there and they're fine. I have rosy barbs and cory cats so I don't know what to do
Can anyone help please? I love these fish and don't want them to die.
The first dead fish had his bladder busted out the side, the second had shredded fins, and the third one had one eye and messed up fins.

ForumRunner_20130321_114246.jpg

ForumRunner_20130321_114221.jpg

I had the same thing happen to my 5 new neons which I added to my original five in Feb. So I'm interested in what's going on for you. I'm attributing my losses to an ammonia spike, since my mom looked after my tank for me while I was away and over fed them. But, it may have also been my pelco since he's nocturnal as well.

As well as what's in your tank, what are you Peramiters?

2 rosy barbs, 5 corys, 1 3 spotted gourami, 2 eclipse cats, and the green barbs which I have 3 of.

My parameters are: nitrate 10ppm, nitrite 0ppm, gh 10ppm, kh 200ppm, ph 7.6. I don't know how to get my ph and kh down.

What's your amonia? And you're pH and kh will change and get to a 'normal' value with water changes. Numerous Aquarits will say that those products to raise or lower values are worthless. Waterchanges will do all you need to fix anything. try a 50 or great water change three times a week.

Yeah, as long as you have a steady pH you'll be fine! Mine stays at 7.8 and the fish do fine once acclimated to new parameters.
It does sound like it was probably from stress of something and after they died something else probably got to them

Ok thanks. It's seems wierd to me tho because this is the first time it has happened to me in 1 year. I just introduced the corys not to long ago and they're doing fine. Are the green barbs really sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom