Can anyone identify this weird spot on my molly? (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flambore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please see these pics: http://www.orchardvalley.net/fish/ (it's a directory with three photos). Not the best photos, but you try it. :)

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Dalmation molly. The fish just developed this weird purple/brown spot on his gill. My wife said it appeared sometime this week.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates pretty-near 0, 78f, 7.2-7.4 (pH always stays at that level. I have tried pH down, got it to 7.0, but it always bounces back up in both this tank and her brother's 10gallon) (I know about the Nitrates, I've been told that since it's such a small tank, it may not register).

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
5 gallon, has been up for about 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Whisper micro in-tank filter, came with the tank kit.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
this molly, 4 tiny neon tetras and 2 brilliant rasboras (yes, we know it's overpopulated, but they have all been fine for at least a month. We had an ich problem, but that cleared up about a month ago. The only thing we lost recently was a ghost shrimp.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
yesterday, 20%, water change & gravel vacuum.
I do this once a week, typically 15-20%. I also treat the water with a little Aquarium salt and Stress Coat from time to time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
This one has been in the tank since the cycle was complete, maybe 1.5 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
no.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Tetramin flakes, haven't changed the diet.

This is my daughter's tank. She loves this fish. Appreciate any help you can offer on what this is, and how it may be treated. I have a bottle of MelaFix on-hand if you think it may help.

thanks,
Frank

Re: Can anyone identify this weird spot on my molly? (with p

flambore said:
(pH always stays at that level. I have tried pH down, got it to 7.0, but it always bounces back up in both this tank and her brother's 10gallon) Frank

I think playing with your tanks pH is very dangerous......

that being said I would try treating the Molly with a saltbath. Mollies can be kept in brakish water anyway so there shouldn't be a problem with the salt bath, and salt baths successfully treat many illnesses so without an exact diagnosis, I would try the salt bath.

Hopefully someone who is more of an expert will take a look at your pics, and maybe be able to exact a diagnosis.

Good luck

Maybe its a tumor :p
Actually it could just be a fluid filled pustule. A fishy zit if you will. I had a platy with a mysterious bump and it just went away after a few weeks. If it continues to grow then I would suspect a parasite. Salt bath should be fine for your mollie. And I second talloulou on not monkeying with the pH. A stable 7.4 is better for tetras than a chemically induced swinging 7.0.

I guess I should have clarified. The pH isn't something I play with all the time. I just meant, in case someone were to comment that the pH should be 7.0, my water seems to stick at 7.4. I don't monkey with it. I did a little during the cycle, and once afterwards, but then gave up when I noticed it didn't ever get worse.

Anyway, regarding this bump/spot/whatever. How, exactly do you do a salt bath? I've never done that before.

Appreciate it,
Frank

From FishDoc:
Bath treatment for freshwater ectoparasites and bacterial gill disease.

10-30 grams per litre[(10 - 30 ppt - 1-3%)(1 - 4.7 oz per gall UK)] for up to 30 minutes. The higher dose may only be tolerated for a few minutes. My own preferred dosage, unless there is a reason to go higher, would be 20 grams per litre (3oz per gall UK) for 20 minutes.
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/salt.htm

For US measures see the following PDF article. http://www.aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/ncrac/ncrac105.pdf

HTH!

If you want to do the salt bath there are tons of websites with varying amounts of salt but I generally follow the directions on the carton of Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt....I find it easier than trying to figure out salt weight in grams

Tropical Fish Treatment "Add one rounded tablespoonful of salt for every 5 gallons of aquarium water. Water temp of 80 degrees during treatment is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom