Can dropsy spread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I suspect one of my cardinal tetra has dropsy. I know its so hard to cure but I just wanted to know, can it spread to other fish?

Dropsy if I remember right from research is a symptom rather than an illness.

It may be hard to diagnose what has caused it.

I could be wrong tho Sam.

Jon

jondamon said:
Dropsy if I remember right from research is a symptom rather than an illness.

It may be hard to diagnose what has caused it.

I could be wrong tho Sam.

Jon

Thanks for the quick reply! I hope no other fish get it. Water parameters are :ammonia: 0ppm nitrite: 0ppm nitrate: 5ppm

Often times as stated before dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease itself. There could be more underlining problems in your tank.
Dropsy is basically edema which is the retaining of fluid in the tissues or body cavities of the fish often times in the abdomen.
There is no for sure way to tell if your other fish could catch it without knowing what the underlining problem is.
As for the curing of dropsy successfully is easier said than done depending on how far into the stages the fish is.
Moving the fish into a QT would be the best option for monitoring and to prevent the risk of spreading anything. I've heard that a Epsom salt bath can work but then again I have never tried it myself. Basically what needs to happen is that the fish needs to lose the excess fluid or it will die.
Hope for the best Samzter and keep us posted! :)

Ditto to what they said. If you do have a quarantine tank, I recommend using it to be safe in case the underlying issue is bacterial. Also, you can monitor the fish's diet more readily that way as well.
If the symptoms get too bad, than putting the fish is often the best option. If it seems to be ok for now, you can let it swim out its days in peace.
Sorry for your little guy. :(

absolutangel04 said:
Ditto to what they said. If you do have a quarantine tank, I recommend using it to be safe in case the underlying issue is bacterial. Also, you can monitor the fish's diet more readily that way as well.
If the symptoms get too bad, than putting the fish is often the best option. If it seems to be ok for now, you can let it swim out its days in peace.
Sorry for your little guy. :(

I'm treating the tank with this medicine which kills bacteria, it's still schooling with the others. I can't setup a quarantine but I have a breeding trap.

Back
Top Bottom