Can Plant ferts kill fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the short time that I have been using Flourish Excel in my 55 gal, I have lost a bala shark and two panda corys. I looked in my 10 gal and one of my guppies is laying on the bottom, looking sad. The plants look great. I was just commenting to myself what a beautiful little community I have and now a few deaths have me concerned.

I checked with a strip, and both tanks are good for nitrate and nitrite. I did a 50% water change as soon as I saw the sick fish. I will hope for the best, but i have yet to see a sick fish get better.

anything can be poisonous in high ammounts, but as long as you are not overdosing then i do not think it is the excel...

As long as it is not excessive (like 100 ppm of NO3), plant ferts are pretty innocuous. The only thing that might be a problem is if you use certain land plant ferts that contains ammonia.

Excel can be overdosed at 3-4x recommended at least in the short term. However, there were a couple threads in the plants forum about people killing their fish with extreme levels of Excel (but that is with something like a 20-30x overdose).

Jchillin said:
Are you dosing any other ferts such as KNO3 or flourish nitrogen?

Leaf zone with K20

I am following the dosage recommendations, and only dosing before I turn on the lights. I am hoping it was just coincidence as everything seems OK now. My plants are growing a lot faster now.

My guppy has gone missing though, and the other one is swimming in all levels, it looks like he's looking for his friend :puppydogeyes:

Back
Top Bottom