Can somebody tell me what this long poop means?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
One fish in particular seems to always have very long feces, for at least a few weeks now. In the picture, it is the one in the right as its hard to get a good picture of them when at the front of the tank lol Seems healthy and eats ferociously, i figured it was because he ate more than the rest. But the more i look up illnesses while trying to figure out my girlfriends tank dilema, the more i realize that fish shouldn't have long feces. Just a couple of the fish ever seem to have it, and no other signs. They tend to start out thicker and food coloured and "stretch" to be thinner and pale like in the photo.

I have treated with NLS Hex-shield food for parisites for three days (was a precaution since i suspected it in another tank), then fasted them for two days until now. Even before i fed them after this there seemed to be a couple fish with trailing feces, although not as long as this.

Constipation from too much food in my feedings?

Attachments

• 12169768_10206021261143834_1779042242_o.jpg
    12169768_10206021261143834_1779042242_o.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 279
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445139126.495805.jpg

Please guys. Finally got my tank stocked and I don't want to have to start over. No ammonia and etc. this picture is following two days with no food, yesterday fed spirilina flakes or 30 seconds (last pic), and today fed NLS cichlid pellets for 30 seconds. I don't see where all the poop is coming from

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wild caught or tank raised? How long have you had them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's stringy then it almost a 100% certainty that it's some kind of bacterial or parasitic problem. If not, and the color isn't white, translucent or something like that, then it's most likely constipation.

Constipation treatment: The easiest thing to do is to fast the fish and feed it blanched peas which act as natural laxatives.

What about for normal colour and thickness that gets very long and seems to stretch to be thin sometimes after hanging for a while. I already treated for the 3 days with a parisite food, is there any harm in doing some kind of treatment for bacterial?

Also one of my fish has some ratty fins. I thought at first it was from an old fish that I removed and still seems to be getting a bit worse. Otherwise healthy and I haven't witnessed any real chasing against him

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it fin rot then? Plenty of water changes usually heals that up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Is it fin rot then? Plenty of water changes usually heals that up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Here is a picture of a different fish which i am now thinking might have fin rot. I introduced him with good fins and i beleive that he was getting picked on a bit at first. I havent seen any damage happen or any real aggresion but his fins continue to get more ratty in the back.

The one with the long feces doesnt have any damaged fins. But always seems to have some poop trailing. Longest ive seen as long as twice his body length. Also noticed some poop trailing from the female of the same species as well. Not real long but i dont notice much for feces with the other fish in the tank. I didnt feed them for two days already and he was still pooping. Should i have gone longer? Maybe i should pick up a medication as well?

This is so frusterating because both mine and my girlfriends tank have issues now i never had to deal with it before :/ I have another thread for hers as well. Not as easy as just going to the doctor and finding out what to do...

Attachments

• 12168910_10206028827412986_1990531450_o.jpg
    12168910_10206028827412986_1990531450_o.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 146
The furan 2 will stop that finrot dead in its tracks. Ideally when you treat with antibiotics/antimicrobals you would put the fish(s) with fin rot into a seperate tank like a ten gallon with a heater and airstone and treat with the furan for 4-5 days doing one 50% change in the middle of the treatment and feeding only one tiny meal a day (mostly so you don't have ammonia build up)
Most finrot is gram positive bacteria that infects a fish from a nip or wound. It is easy to treat and not like the gram negative stubborn dreaded flex. Columnaris which is harder to stop but not impossible. Furan-2 is a good gram positive antibiotic with the added ingredient potassium dichromite which destroyes water mould/microbes (most people just call it "fungus" but its not really fungus like a mushroom or the toe nail fungus, lol.
Im just special that way.
The long poop, idk what causes that, but i have had it in my guppies before a long time ago, and i don't think it hurts them at all or anything. Maybe just cut back on your feeding of all your fish since i have noticed you made several threads about bloated fish and now one of a sick fish, pet fish are in a enclosed enviornment and as such you cannot overfeed and pollute their tank, and they are healthier just being fed 2x a day.

The furan 2 will stop that finrot dead in its tracks. Ideally when you treat with antibiotics/antimicrobals you would put the fish(s) with fin rot into a seperate tank like a ten gallon with a heater and airstone and treat with the furan for 4-5 days doing one 50% change in the middle of the treatment and feeding only one tiny meal a day (mostly so you don't have ammonia build up)
Most finrot is gram positive bacteria that infects a fish from a nip or wound. It is easy to treat and not like the gram negative stubborn dreaded flex. Columnaris which is harder to stop but not impossible. Furan-2 is a good gram positive antibiotic with the added ingredient potassium dichromite which destroyes water mould/microbes (most people just call it "fungus" but its not really fungus like a mushroom or the toe nail fungus, lol.
Im just special that way.
The long poop, idk what causes that, but i have had it in my guppies before a long time ago, and i don't think it hurts them at all or anything. Maybe just cut back on your feeding of all your fish since i have noticed you made several threads about bloated fish and now one of a sick fish, pet fish are in a enclosed enviornment and as such you cannot overfeed and pollute their tank, and they are healthier just being fed 2x a day.

Thanks for the advice! I beleive the fin damage was indeed from aggresion. Never seen anything with the light on but i noticed him staying more and more to himself and took a few looks after the light was out and he was getting bullied. He started stayed at the top corner away from the others. Then before i could rehome him, my girlfriend found him wrapped around the filter inlet :/ I had already rearranged the whole tank a few days prior so there wasnt much to do to help. Oh well, he had no others of his species and he was smaller, so thats the joys of the more aggressive fish.

On the advice of a few others around here, i started treating both mine and my girlfriends tank with API Melafix since its readily available here. I also started feeding the mbuna more sparingly in each feeding and sometime twice a day instead of one big one, and spreading the food throughout the whole top so its harder for the one to get so much more. I havent seen the long feces in the last couple days and i see no other visable issues so im hoping it is done now.

Melafix is only 99% water and 1% tree tea oil

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Melafix is "essential oils" that according to research "treat a very limited spectrum of mostly gram positive aerobic fish bacteria"
In other words, a mostly useless catchy money maker for Aquarium Pharmecuticals Inc.
Most deadly fish bacteria is gram negative anaerobic.
Oxytetracycline is the best "broad" spectrum antibiotic on the market IMO
Should be combined with Methylene blue and salt and daily 50% PWCs in a ten gallon heated, aerated hospital tank.
Alternatively you can use Kanamycin/Furan-2 combo, no need to hospital tank with furan 2 it does not negatively affect nitrifying bacteria.
As for the long poop, it means absolutely nothing.

Back
Top Bottom