Can someone have a look at my Denison Barb please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MymonkeyMoue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my Denison Barbs is looking pretty bad. His/her (not sure of the sex) body is distorted and bulging at the bottom. I'm thinking maybe it's a bit backed up? If its female, maybe she's carrying eggs. Noticed it yesterday, but it was still coming up for food and active so I wasn't too concerned. Today it doesn't look any better, and (s)he is swimming funny, floating off here or there and flipping over a bit, hanging out on the bottom, etc. it's not looking good.

Should also mention that I've had him/her for a year now.

Here are some photos: imgur: the simple image sharer
image.jpg

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated!

The tank is a 55 gallon planted community tank, temp around 74, ph 6.6. 3 fluval c3 filters.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390269283.122330.jpg better photo. I don't think the fishy is going to make it, but any ideas would be helpful just to know for next time.

It seems to be floating around, trying to swim. What is swim bladder? I haven't come across this before, treatable?

Try fasting for a day or two then try the peas again. I think I read somewhere that salt also acts as a laxative.

Awesome, ill look into the salt idea. I appreciate the response. Hopefully the fishy pulls through. Sad to watch them struggle!

Epsom salt is what's used for laxatives. Try googling around for uses of it, I'm not entierly sure. I've heard of some people having their fish eat it (if they can) or just putting them in a container with the epsom salt disolved in it for short periods of time. Good luck, I hope your fish pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom