Can't Diagnose sick skirt tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone. First I just want to say that although this is my first post, I have over a year now reaped the benefits of everyone's good advice on sites like this one, and am very thankful for it. Until now I've found internet advice so complete that I haven't had to ask any new questions, but my luck ran out. I hope someone will be able to solve this mystery for me. I am a beginner at this, though I have had my tank for over a year now without any major catastrophes. Last Thursday I finally moved my tank back from my parents house where it was temporarily housed for a month while I waited for my apartment to become available. I was glad to get it back, and I took all the cautions I was capable of during the move, from water quality, tank cleanliness, temperature, transportation etc... To try and minimize the impact on my fish. I had to remove almost all the water to make it moveable, but the temperature and ph where as close to what they were previously as I could get them 70 F and 6.8 - 7.0 ph. I have done this twice, once over a year ago, and just about 2 months ago, without any casualties. Over the weekend everyone seemed happy, however I started noticing some problems on Tuesday. I have a 30 gallon planted tank for which I have purchased the following : 6 zebra danios, one catfish, one algae eater.
and have adopted to save from being cast into the lake: 2 guppies, 2 skirt tetras, and 1 mystery fish which I can't quite identify.

The problem is with one of the tetras, the smaller one to be specific. On tuesday I noticed that he wasn't around the tank, or at least I couldn't see him. I was quite concerned because I couldn't remember him being sick and thought I ought to look for the corpse ASAP lest it make my other fish sick. After much arduous searching he turned up, but alas! not dead, just very very slow. He was hiding, and hanging out on the bottom barely moving. Swimming only slightly to keep himself upright. I looked for any signs of disease but was unable to see anything to indicate disease, other than it's behavior. So I went to work. When I came home I noticed he was still hiding, and wouldn't eat. Again I thought he might have died but after much searching there he was again, much the same. So I did what I usually do in these situations and spent about three hours online looking for disease diagnoses. No luck. Wednesday I was busy with work, and didn't have time to notice him, however I thought he was gone for good because I couldn't find him at all. I finally had to give up for the night as I get up at 5:30 am and need my sleep. This morning I looked for him before work, found him, still acting very much the same. Barely swimming, spending a lot of time hiding and one more thing! His/or hers for that matter, colors seem very dark and intense. Whereas the partner fish is silvery gray, with darker fins and stripes, this one's fins are very black, and the body has gained intensity and darkness. Could this be a symptom? I don't know. All I know is that he spends a whole lot of time hiding, not eating, and barely swimming. I am concerned, and am putting it in quarantine. Oh, and Yes it could be a female, I just have a habit of calling it him. I don't know if anyone has any ideas, but whatever it is it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this at least.

Sincerely,

Smog

welcome to aa!
i get the impression you recently put these fish in there? if so, it's probably just normal "getting used to the tank". of my 7 skirts, 1 of them was very reluctant to explore his new home, and was a very skittish eater for about a month. all is fine now. if he's been in there for a while, i don't know what to tell you. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if he doesn't show any signs of actual disease he'll probably be better off left in the tank with the others. i'm thinking he may just be extremely nervous. good-luck.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. Well I've had these fish for about a year, all except the guppies which are the newest addition. The tetras have been in this tank all along but since I had to take them out to transport them and then put them all back in that might be the casue of his skittishness. I hope that's it. Thanks again fro the advice, I will continue to keep an eye on him.

appreciate the advice

Welcome to AA!

As justrelax mentioned, it could very well be an adjustment period. FWIW, I have three skirts that are almost two years old. One of them has always been sorta runty and is nowhere near as active as the others. Very often he is engaged in the very behavior you are describing.

Skirted tetras are probably the hardiest of all tetras. The three above have survived the following:

Ich
Columnaris
ph crash
salt overdosing

Of my original fish stock and every other fish placed in their tank, they are the lone survivors.

Again, Thank you!
I'm very relieved to hear about your own experience, and have put him back in with the rest, figuring he might just snap out of it. He's been acting fairly normal now that he doesn't hae many places to hide and is by himself, so as you said he might just be a bit nervous about the move. THank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom