cant figure out whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5" African cichlid that will swim normally for a few hours then all of a sudden start swimming in circles really fast hang out by the heater for a little while then go back to normal

Sounds strange indeed, is the fish eating, acting fairly normal, and I'm assuming the water parameters are in check? If the answer is yes to all the questions then I don't think I'd be to concerned as I've had some oddballs over the years as well.

It is only eating small pellets and according to 2 different home tests and a test by a store te parameters are good its just weird that he just swims in really fast circled outta the blue

It's more than likely establishing its territory. I have had cichlids for years and have seen this a lot. They cruise around and will suddenly do the same thing. Also looking for a mate. Different cichlids have different mating patterns and that is one of them. They'll establish dominance and a territory even if there is no female that they are compatible with.

Ok I did not know that thank you Especially since that's the only African sick but I have my tank got him as a "grab bag" fish for a dollar because he was white and nobody knew what he was in the store

Back
Top Bottom