Can't get rid of Ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plissken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
10 gallon aquarium. 2 glo-fish, 3 serpae tetras, 4 neon tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 mystery snail.

Tank cycled.

Got Ick 8 days ago. Noticed white spots on 1 serpae tetra (all over) and a couple white spots on two neon tetras (on fins only). Clown pleco appears to have it also.

Removed snail and began treatment 8 days ago using Kordon Rid-Ick Plus. Gradually increase tank temperature to 85 degrees over next two days. Been treating with Rid-Ick daily with 5 ml per 10 gallons as indicated on bottle. Also been doing daily water changes of 20%-25% (syphoning from bottom of tank and getting the rocks).

It got a little better after day three. Only one speck on one neon tetra and reduced specks on serpae tetra. Clown pleco looked no different. But no difference after that.

Today (day 8), and the serpae tetra is back to having way more specks and all neon tetras have specks again. Clown pleco is dead! Fear that other fish may have fed on dead pleco.

What now? :banghead:

With rid ich plus it says you didn't have to raise temperature to kill ich. Also on the directions it says continue to treat for ich at least days more days after last sign of ich. I don't know of you did that but I treated for about 7 days until o didn't see anymore and continued for another 3 days

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had horric horrid ich. Th best treament success I had was heat (I did 88F) and WATER CHANGES!!!! All. The. TIme. I did 50% WC daily with vacuum every time. Then 25% everyday for a week AFTER all symptoms were gone. Water changes with vacuum are going to be your best friend.
Ich has three stages in its lifecycle:
1.In your fish
2.free swimming
3.cyst

When ich is free swimming and in cyst, it won't show up necessarily in your fish and only in the free swimming stage are most meds effective. Water changes and vacuum will help remove the ich during stage 2/3 so they don't reinfect your fish. I would read the article on this website. It will help you understand what you are dealing with.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice
Fish Disease Index: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. - Aquarium Advice

Also, I had no luck with meds. My fish just died and the ich must have been resistant, because it did virtually nothing.

Back
Top Bottom