Can't keep red tailed black sharks alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prag16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I first set up my 25 gallon aquarium in December, and have had several problems. I originally ignorantly stocked it too quickly, and ended up with ammonia issues which were likely responsible for a few fish deaths. I added a red tailed black shark before the tank was properly cycled, and he died after a few days.

Now two months later, I am fully cycled (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low nitrate, 6.5 pH). I have had no issues lately other than slight green cloudiness which has gotten better over the last few weeks. A brown algae problem I had while the tank was cycling is now pretty much entirely gone.

I added another red tailed black shark (I know some will say that 25 gallons is too small for them, but others say it's fine; also I will probably get a larger tank in a couple years when I move to a bigger place so if the shark's getting big by then; fine).

In the 5 days I had him, I never saw him eat, though he looked active and hid in a hollowed out log the rest of the time (though he did sometimes go up an hide behind the filter at the top, which annoyed me).

This morning I found him dead for no reason. I had been assuming he had been foraging around eating from the bottom, etc. And either way 5 days without food shouldn't kill a fish. My readings are still ideal (as mentioned above) so I have no idea what could have killed this one. I think he was hiding behind the filter before he died (I found him laying upside down dead right below it), something he didn't starting doing much until yesterday; before that he always preferred the hollowed out log.

The food I use is flake food, and sometimes baby shrimp. I know red tailed black sharks like stuff like algae wafers sometimes, but didn't think it as a requirement, especially in such a short 5 day timeframe.

The ONLY sign (aside from not having seen him eat) of anything bad going on was that he had a little scrape on one side, as if he scraped against an ornament or something. Other than that he was pretty dark black with bright red tail, even his dead carcass (while slightly lighter black) still looked 'healthy', other than the fact that it was a carcass.

Nothing else odd other than preferring for some reason the behind-filter niche in his final hours.

He shared the tank with two 'painted' tetras, 3 red eye tetras, two guppies, and 7 guppy fry in a breeding net (not sure if this is related, but they are growing VERY slowly.... after almost two months, the longest ones are barely over a centimeter in length). Nobody else shows any signs of trouble.

Any ideas??? This is very frustrating.

how did you acclimate it? alot of times, the lfs parameters and your tank parameters are way off... that can cause alot of issues including death.

Hmmm, didn't bother the other fish from the same store.

The first shark i just dumped him in. The second one i dangled the plastic bag he was in into the tank for awhile, which is probably somewhat pointless.

What would be the best way to go about it? Would this still explain it if he looked pretty much good for a few days then just died suddenly?

yes, its possible. it can stress them to death so to speak. drip acclimation is the all around best method imo. i have a 10g tank that i've been using lately, i put about 2" of tank water and put the bag in there slowly adding that water over about 20 minutes, then i have an air line that i use to slowly drip the tank water in to the 10g until it is about half full... that acclimates them to both the temperature of the tank and the ph and nitrate levels in the tank which are almost certainly different than the lfs

+1 on proper acclimation. I prefer the drip method.

Where did you get your shark from? I wonder about the hardiness of red tail and rainbow sharks. I generally see at least one dead shark in the tank at the store, so I question how well they ship. It also seems like only the big box stores (Petsmart, Petco, etc.) carry red tails and rainbow sharks in my area, so it might just be coincidence.

I got him from a small-ish store "Petland". I think it's a regional chain (U.S. northeast maybe).

Hmm, I don't have a secondary tank. I have a 5g bucket i use for water changes. Maybe I can try that next time (once I work up the stones to buy another shark since now I'll always be afraid I'll kill it...). How would you recommend going about doing that with a bucket?

Still.. he looked absolutely fine until MAYBE several hours before the night over which he died. He wouldn't show any stress sooner if he's not acclimated?

Petland is actually a huge chain store, in the same category as Total Pet, Petcetera. They have stores all over north america and some of them are quite large. I worked at a small petland for a few years and i found that the guppies at least are usually quite sickly in every store I go to. not sure why. The best guppies I found were at Total Pet. I can't say much about the red tail sharks - someone gave me one once when I was in university and it jumped out of the tank and died (the tank was WAAAAY too small!)

Petland is actually a huge chain store, in the same category as Total Pet, Petcetera. They have stores all over north america and some of them are quite large. I worked at a small petland for a few years and i found that the guppies at least are usually quite sickly in every store I go to. not sure why. The best guppies I found were at Total Pet. I can't say much about the red tail sharks - someone gave me one once when I was in university and it jumped out of the tank and died (the tank was WAAAAY too small!)

Oops, I meant to say Petland Discounts (I guess it's not the same thing). It's a regional chain in the tri-state area (CT, NY, NJ). Lots of stores though, maybe almost 100, mostly in NY. In case that matters.

I plan on trying the drip acclimation method with my bucket next time I feel daring enough to procure another shark.

Okay, well now it seems like there may have been bigger problems...

This morning I found one of the two guppies dead, the four out of the 7 guppy fry were also dead. None of them showed any previous signs of problems.

I tested my water again with a liquid test kit, and I'm at zero for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, with a pH of 6.6. Tank is 78 degrees. Only visible issue is a slight greenish tint to the water (which is lessened in the last couple weeks).

What the heck is going on???

I can't understand how I've had a betta in an unfiltered bowl for over 4 years and he's still spry as ever. He's even gone weeks without food or water changes at times. Yet these guys in the tank I hover over constantly trying to help them all i can, and more than half die. I guess bettas are just that much hardier...

This is getting very frustrating, and has me considering giving up fishkeeping.

Two out of the remaining 3 fry look to be dying, and the one remaining guppy (pregnant) is hovering at the top and not moving around much. Not sure if she's ready to drop fry, or drop dead :(

that sucks, I know what you're going through right now. It seems I can never keep guppies alive for more than a few months. I am trying as hard as I can to learn about water chemistry and such in an effort to keep them healthy longer but they seem destined to die young. The platies I had lived way longer. It seems for me like every time I put a new fish in the tank, a few die. It's frustrating that these mystery diseases that can't be detected act so fast. I am at the point now where I refuse to add any more new fish to the tank. If they all eventually die then I will disinfect the whole thing and start over.

Out of like 30 fry I usually have 3 that live to be of juvinile size. I've never had one live to reproduce, but I have a couple right now that are 4 months old or better and are getting close. I sure hope they don't die.

My plan is to keep the fry and hope that after a few generations they produce hardier young.

I to have had issues with Red-Tailed Black Sharks. However, I think you are having some other much bigger problem.

My tank,
img_1091407_0_11c81ade929540be3a548485ee41e949.jpg

How often and how much water do you change per week? it should be around 10-15% depending on fish load.

What type of filter are you using?

Why is you PH so low? Do you have C02 injection? Do not use "PH-up" or PH-Down" you will kill your fish. The products are a scam.

that sucks, I know what you're going through right now. It seems I can never keep guppies alive for more than a few months. I am trying as hard as I can to learn about water chemistry and such in an effort to keep them healthy longer but they seem destined to die young. The platies I had lived way longer. It seems for me like every time I put a new fish in the tank, a few die. It's frustrating that these mystery diseases that can't be detected act so fast. I am at the point now where I refuse to add any more new fish to the tank. If they all eventually die then I will disinfect the whole thing and start over.

Out of like 30 fry I usually have 3 that live to be of juvinile size. I've never had one live to reproduce, but I have a couple right now that are 4 months old or better and are getting close. I sure hope they don't die.

My plan is to keep the fry and hope that after a few generations they produce hardier young.

I have kept guppies with very good success. The only thing that can be happening is your tanks are not cycling. Also when you clean your filters if you do not keep enough nitrifying bacteria in the filter you will restart the cycle and many fish will die.

When fish are stressed already and you add new fish you are stressing them past what they can deal with and you get fish deaths.

Back
Top Bottom