Cardinal Tetra with popeye.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 6 tetras just to add some movement in my 20g long well-planted shrimp tank.
All was good for a week, 2 days ago, I came home from work and 1 was dead. No visible signs of anything, and was acting normal when I fed them in the morning.

Now today, another one of the tetras has a swollen eye, I'm assuming is popeye?
Is it contagious? I've only ever kept much larger fish and never encountered this before.
Understandably, poor water conditions seems to be the main cause of this health problem.
Though, my water is good (To my knowledge, I'll admit, I didn't research tetra care, but there is also 3 Ghost catfish in the tank, so I assumed the catfish would be for delicate than the tetras, from the looks of it I'm wrong)

Ph- 7.8
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - 5-10 (In between on colour chart)
GH - 100
KH - 60

I know Petsmart isn't the ideal place to buy fish, but I was there for the dog, and saw the tetras on sale for 1$.
Should I treat the entire tank for this, is there a chance others will come in contact with it? Should I bother trying to save the little guy? I don't feel like messing with my water just for the one tiny tetra... I just want to know if the other fish are at risk

Kind of hoping it's that, and isolated to just him.. I'm just worried it has some connection to the other one that died

That link you posted states that having only 1 swollen eye is most likely injury.
I was watching them last night and none had any sign of infection, less then 24 hours later he is struggling with a massive eye. Staying in the far lower corner away from the filter.. I don't think he's going to make it, I treated with some salt but can't put a full dose in with the ghost catfish.

Yeah hopefully it's just an injury :( I have never had luck with neons...I don't know about cardinals

Back
Top Bottom