Cardinal Tetra woth popeye and ? (pics...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Pandurini doesnt look good now. Hes breathing fast/constantly compared to the other, and hanging at the top of the tank, staying in one spot, not moving around so much. I also caught him dashing off and rubbing the sides of his head? i think, on a piece of wood about 5 times. Hes also bloated and twitches sometimes. I thought to kill bacteria the temp should be like 28-30 degrees? Should i feed him brine shrimp or anything even though hes bloated? He cant be bloated from food cause atm hes eating slowly and only takes like 2-3 bites.

I did a 30% WC 2 days ago, should i do another?

You can see the clear poo. The brightest white dot behind his eye, infront of the blue patch is the infection. it also goes in a straight line below that white dot, like a cut, but that seems to be cleaner now:
http://i.imgur.com/4jZ7BYw.jpg

Another pwc of that size sounds good. It's not too much stress but keeps the water clean.

Generally bacteria will do better in warmer conditions (like if we go to the tropics). So 28 to 30 degrees just helps bacteria along.

Brine shrimp is worth a try. Just make sure they are disease free.

I went to another forum specifically for apistogramma, they reckon it could be Mycobacterium infection. "There is no reliably effective treatment, sometimes they do recover for awhile as the disease goes into remission for months or years, usually at an earlier stage than your fish. Once the fish has gaping sores and severe kidney and intestinal damage (as evidenced by bloating) they usually die within a few weeks."

Heres more on Mycobacterium

I went to another forum specifically for apistogramma, they reckon it could be Mycobacterium infection. "There is no reliably effective treatment, sometimes they do recover for awhile as the disease goes into remission for months or years, usually at an earlier stage than your fish. Once the fish has gaping sores and severe kidney and intestinal damage (as evidenced by bloating) they usually die within a few weeks."

Heres more on Mycobacterium

It's possible, we know it is bacterial. Sores around the gills, skinny, bent spine, I would guess lumpy body from internal nodular growths would indicate for me. Fish TB should be more a chronic illness but could be speedy as well. There's so many bacterial infections that it's pretty hard to say for sure without a vet. It could equally be one of many others but if looking like that, then best to dispose of the sick fish rather than risk it. I find bacterial infections diabolical to cure. I pretty take any saved as a small miracle.

http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/diseases_bacterial.php

Edit - did anyone suggest any cures at all? Was it an Australian forum.?

No one has suggested a cure, it was apistogramma.com

Today i noticed his bloating has decreased quiet a bit. But his dorsal fin, he doesn't want to lift it up anymore, its all the way down. So his swimming is different now, hes more on a diagonal slant facing upwards. From what i can see, it looks white and fuzzy.

Hes still eating/wants to eat. He takes a piece and fumbles around with it in his mouth, spits it out, takes it back in. It seems hard to swallow for him.

The tetra thats has with worms sticking out of it, is breathing fast. And another tetra is also breathing fast. Should i get another medication?

I have a quarantine tank now, but not sure if i should use it since it doesnt have a filter or heater, just a bubbler...

I also bought clove oil :(

Sitting here racking my brains. If you can grab a small hob and add some filter media from your existing filter your good to go on the QT. At least that will stop it spreading in your DT and a bit cheaper too.

I was just curious on the website in case it was an Australian one and anyone had access to different meds.

At this point I would QT them and try the tetracycline and triple sulpha combined for a week. You never know. You could try a salt dip as you are shifting them.

Panduro had some kind of nose infection yesterday (red with lots of pointy white hairs sticking out) I gave him a 5 min salt dip yesterday, aswell as 2 tetras. 1 table spoon of 100% Himalayan pink rock salt, not sure if that ones good or bad. I put them in the QT and treated it with Tri Sulfa. He died today sometime and the tetra's looked like they were attacking eachother to death so i put them back in the main tank.

So weird. I feel bad- I have no other ideas and it seems like everyone else is lost for ideas too. Have you tried any other forums too?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I knew it was coming these last few days, i had the clove oil ready, thought i'd give him one last chance but i probably pushed it too far/too much stress.

The size of the salt water bath was about 10-15cm deep in a normal sized bucket. The tetra's seem fine after taking the same one.

Besides that everything seems to be ok now. I'll continue to feed them food soaked in garlic for abit more.

Thanks again everyone (y)

Back
Top Bottom